Coral beauty cloudy eyes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

OscarFan76

Aquarium Advice Freak
I noticed yesterday one of my coral beauty's eyes looked swollen and cloudy. Today the other one looked like that. Any idea what the problem is? Tank params look good.

He had ich. I took the fish out of the dt and put them in qt with copper for two weeks (followed the directions on the bottle. They have been out of the copper tank for a week and a half in a different tank (not the one with ich).

Any suggestions on treatment? Also I have a diatom outbreak going on. He has been eating the diatoms. Could that cause it? Thanks.

P.s. The other fish in the tank is ok.

Also I added some calpura algae to my sump recently. Some of it made it up the return to the dt and he might have eaten some. Is that a problem?

Update: he is now getting white patches on him. Big ones not ich. Also fins are looking tattered. I assume this is an infection. Going to buy anti-biotics today. Hope he makes it.

Hey Oscarfan,
Bulging eyes is usually a symptom of poor water quality, not an actual disease itself.
As far as the Angel eating some Caulerpa, that's not a problem at all. It's a good live, non-processed food.
I would look up either Amyloodinium or Brooklynella, at being what your Angel has. These are both parasitic infections.

Now you've got me worried. Haha. I am kinda thinking it is bacteria but it could be velvet. He is going back to qt tonight for antibiotic treatment tonight. The dottyback that is with him has some minor whitish looking areas as well but has been that way for over a week. He is doing good otherwise. I'm afraid the coral beauty might not make it.

Water params:
Amm: 0
Trite: 0
Trate: 10
Ph: 8.2-8.4 hard to tell on my test kit.

Could there be bacteria in the water that doesn't show up on the test kit? I'm afraid it is something from the live rock or sand.

He looked great when I put him in this tank from the qt a week ago.

You can't test the water for bacteria, to the best of my knowledge.
Not trying to scare you, but neither fish sound too good. Just trying to help ID what's wrong.
I really don't have alot of experience with sick fish, just letting you know what it sounds like to me.
I would put them both in QT, to be safe, and treat them both.
Why do you feel that your sand or rock could have contributed to this? If its because of the diatoms, I wouldn't worry about them. They shouldn't have caused any kind of problem like this, the diatoms will die off, eventually.

Thanks for the feedback. The cb is in a new qt tank with antibiotics (furan 2). I used a piece of live rock and some media from a canister in the filter so the bb should be good until the furan kills it. The dotty back is looking good, eating well, and hard to catch. I will have to tear the tank down tomorrow to get him out.

The sand was a little suspect. It came from the ocean and had been sitting for a while. It really smelled bad. I rinsed and rinsed and rinsed it before adding it to the tank but it still worries me. Nitrates are low though. Rock is new to this tank so I wonder about it as well.

Thanks for your help.

Did you experience any cycle on the tank? Any ammonia spike, more specifically?
Also was the rock cured before going in the tank? Or was it ocean rock too?
If the rock and sand were kept completely submerged in transport, than it wouldn't need to cycle. But if it was exposed to air for more than 10 minutes, it could have some die-off, and create an ammonia spike. You would then have to cycle, to remove all ammonia and nitrite, before adding livestock.

There was a small spike after setting up the tank of about 0.5-1 ppm ammonia that only lasted a day or two. I have about 50-60 pounds of cured live rock in there from a lfs. There are a bunch of little starfish and pods on it. The tank sat fallow for a couple of weeks after the spike just to make sure the params did not change. No ammo or Trites since. The Trates were fairly high in the beginning but pwcs brought them down.

Sadly my coral beauty passed in the qt tank last night. I will get the dottyback in there today.

The mushroom coral is doing great.

I'm really hoping it is not velvet. My 55 is also in a fallow period (4 weeks now) because of marine ich. I've had a rough time getting started with saltys.

Thanks again for your help.

Sorry about the Coral Beauty, if it helps at all, I've lost a couple of those myself, in the past. They don't have a great track record in home aquaria. Some make it, some don't.
It sounds like you've gone about the set-up correctly, allowing time to cycle out the system.
Best of luck with the Dottyback, and moving forward in the hobby.

Sorry for your loss, I lost one too when I first started. What I get for having someone who knows nothing about fish watch my tank while I was out of town.

hey guys my coral beauty got the same symtoms as yours , after reading ur posts im nw worried

I would take it out to a qt tank and start some sort of treatment immediately. My passed within two days of the first symptoms. The rest of the fish in that tank have been fine. I don't think it was velvet in my case.

Back
Top Bottom