Coral Beauty not doing so good...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Biggen

Aquarium Advice Addict
My Coral Beauty has been hiding under my LR for the past few days. He has not eaten or wanted to come out from his hiding place. This morning I got a good look at him an noticed that his belly is bloated. His breathing also appears faster than normal. All of his movements are very clam and cautiously with fins back laid back on the body.

Not really sure what to do here. My only QT tank already has a clown in it I purchased a few weeks ago and then came down with ich in the QT. So it is being treated now but has a while to go still.

The only thing that has changed in my tank recently was the addition of Ricordea mushrooms purchased from Dr. Mac and Sons. Don't really know if they could have had an affect on the fish as I don't think Dr. Mac and Sons even keep fish with their coral specimens.

Grrr... I am really at a loss. I don't see how any kind of disease or parasite could be to blame here.

Bloating is usually from blockage or swim bladder problems. It can be caused from fighting, foods or possibley injured itself darting about the tank. If it's swimming patterns are still coherent, then I would suspect blockage as the cause. If so, enticing it to eat will be important. Using some softened peas slightly mashed with brine and mabye a drop or two of garlic, see if you can get the angel to eat. Might take a few days but if it consumes the peas, it should clear the blockage.

If it eats the peas and it does not clear the problem, you may need to treat with an anti-biotic. It is not always clear what causes these issues and meds are not always effective. A seperate QT will be needed if you need to treat. Nitrofurazone at 30 mg/gal for 3 days. Make sure you try the pea mixture first. If it's simple blockage, the med will have no effect and there is a good chance of making things worse if you need to catch the fish.

What is the main food source for your fish?

Cheers
Steve

Hey Steve.

If it's swimming patterns are still coherent, then I would suspect blockage as the cause. If so, enticing it to eat will be important. Using some softened peas slightly mashed with brine and mabye a drop or two of garlic, see if you can get the angel to eat. Might take a few days but if it consumes the peas, it should clear the blockage.

He does appear to still have the abilty to swim properly. No uncontrolled swimming, no laying on his side, etc... Mashed peas, huh? I will go to the grocery store today and pick some up. Getting it to him will be problematic as he seems real timid right now.

Blockage of what, Steve? Stomach or gastrointestinal area?

I actually feed three different foods. Formula one pellets, homemade blender mush, and Kent Marine's Platinum ChromaXtreme pellet.

He has been a great fish that always darts around the tank. Always picking at something this guy is.

Biggen said:
Blockage of what, Steve? Stomach or gastrointestinal area?
Could be anywhere along the digestive tract but the peas will often do the trick if that's the cause.

I actually feed three different foods. Formula one pellets, homemade blender mush, and Kent Marine's Platinum ChromaXtreme pellet.
The reason I asked was more often an "all meat" diet will typically be the cause. Whenever I feed meats, it's either soaked in Zoe or phytoplankton. The foods you feed seem to be fine though.

Cheers
Steve

Bloating is a common problem with Coral Beauties. It is often caused by feeding the fish tainted food. Do you store all your food in the freezer including flake and freeze dried (not live food)? How long have you had the fish? How long have you been keeping marine fish? Do you quarantine all new fish? Nitrofurazone at the dose and duration that Steve suggested is not a bad choice at all. However, I prefer Maracyn-Two using the double dose suggested for the first day EACH and EVERY day for 7 to 10 days for bloat. A large water change using saltwater that has been mixed andaerated 24+ hours is a good first move. Treat only in quarantine. Try not to use a net or expose the fish to the air when you move it to quarantine.
I don't know your experience level, but tangs, angels, butterflies and other delicate fish should not be attempted by new hobbyists. You should have long-term succes with easier species before buying any of the more delicate species.
Terry B

Well I have good news!! He appears to be back to normal. His bloating has subsided and he is now swimming happily around the tank again like his old self. Thx you guys so much for your responses. I am glad it was nothing serious and it passed on its own.

Phew... I was scared for a while. I love that fish.

Glad to hear he's okay!! My favorite fish has a wierd mark on him and is worrying me :cry:

Back
Top Bottom