Coral beauty not eating and hiding behind live rock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Flyingbulldog

Aquarium Advice Regular
I bought my first fish yesterday and feed the fish for the first time. The fish just hides a wont eat.. A little concerned for the fish.. Water was tested yesterday as good water. What test should I do first?

My coral beauty just stayed hidden for a few days.. after about a week he was out and all over the tank, they like to hide in rocks and stuff.
When you put him in the tank you should leave the lights out for the first day, that helps with the stress.
Just leave him alone he will be fine
I hope you cycled your tank properly before adding fish.......
If your tank is cycled you should be fine
Check ammonia, nitrite and nitrate

Reply. I cycled the tank and have live Rock to help filtration. The fish seems to like having the tank to himself. I did not keep the light off for the first day. Is it usually for coral beauty's to pick or eat off the live rock?

By picking off the rocks... Should I Fred Jim less frozen fish food? I only put in a little after the dissolve in water.

By picking off the rocks... Should I Fred Jim less frozen fish food? I only put in a little after the dissolve in water.

If hes not eating it dont feed much at all, excess food will just rot. However he should start eating more in a few days once hes more acclimated. Also helps to know what your fish store is feeing them.

I did ask what the fish diet consist of. Frozen brine shrimp is what he told me and showed me as he feed them. I dissolved the brine and did it correctly..

I did ask what the fish diet consist of. Frozen brine shrimp is what he told me and showed me as he feed them. I dissolved the brine and did it correctly..

Well thats good, likely the fish is just acclimating and getting use to its surrounding, just give him a couple days to get hungry and used to his surroundings and try again. As long as your water quality is good than he should come around soon enough.

Some fish are just skittish at first and take a few days before that start eating, and some eat the first day. Just offer a little everyday. You could add a couple drops of Garlic Extreme to entice him if you want.

Garlic drops?? Never heard that

Yeah, the fish love it and the smell entices them to eat. You can usually buy it at the LFS. My Petco sells it, as well as most of my other LFS. It's about $20 a bottle, but lasts a long time cuz it only takes a few drops. The one I use is Kent's Garlic Extreme. Some people use it with all new fish to get them eating

He has been picking at the Live Rock all day. So not sure if that is a good diet for the fish

Back
Top Bottom