Coral Beauty With Popeye

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kmacc99

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Yesterday i noticed that my coral beauty had a cloudy eye. Today when I got home I noticed that the eye had swollen and there was a little swelling of the top lip. I immediately transferred him to my QT and started treatment with Quick Cure (formalin solution). Is this the right method of treatment? I still have 2 clownfish in my main tank and they seem to be doing fine. My water is pH 8.2, SG 1.024 by refractometer, 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, 20 nitrate.

No offense, but I am curious as to why you would medicate an animal and not know if it is the proper medication? Formalin is a parasiticide and Malachite Green is an anti-fungal agent. The problem is, cloudy-eye and popeye are symptoms of a bacterial and can be treated effectively with Nitrofurazone or Minocycline (Maracyn 2), even Enrofloxacin (Baytril). Epsom salts have also shown to be an introductory prophylactic in fluid reduction. I would perform a 25% water change and use carbon to diminish the concentration and add rigid airline tubing to keep the water well oxygenated (temperature will also affect their breathing abilities with such meds.).

Last edited:
I am new at this hobby. I went to my LFS and explained the symptoms to the person at the store. He handed me the medication and told me how to use it. I thought he knew what he was talking about, but I guess he was wrong. I will proceed with using the treatment described above....Thanks

You can perform enough water changes to equal 100% in the course of several days depending on the stress level of the fish. You do not want to mix your current medications with new ones.

Unfortunately your LFS gave you the wrong course of action. James just gave you the right course to go. I would do just as he said.

Yes, do as James said. In doing your pwc's you should gradually lower the SG to the 1.020 range. It's easier on the fish. Remember to slowly raise it over a few days when done with the treatment.

Thanks, from now on I will post my questions prior to buying or treating anything. Maybe I didn't explain it well enough. I read the bottle after purchase and it didn't make sense to me.

I have been treating this fish for cloudy eye for the last three days. It doesn't appear that his symptoms are changing. How long does it usually take for the medicine to cure the infection?

More information please.
How big is the QT tank?
How did you cycle the QT tank?
Did you do th epartial water changes before adding the new med?
What medication are you using now?
How much and how often are you dosing (according the package?)?
Have you done any PWC's since medicating?
What filtration are running in the tank?
Do you have any carbon running?
Did you reduce the salinity in the tank? You can go down to 1.010

I would think that 3 days is on the very short side of observable change. More like a week to 10 days to see improvement if it's going to get better.

I can't vouch for it, but this article is specific to cloudy eye/popeye treatment for marine fish.

The QT is 10 gallons. I originally took 5 gallons from my main aquarium and made up 5 gallons of fresh SW. I am running a HOB filter without carbon. The SG is currently 1.015 by refractometer, I will lower it tonight when I do a water change. I usually do a PWC every other night and I am checking my ammonia every day. I am currently using a tetracycline drop that is good for both FW and SW. I am adding 5 drops to the aquarium twice a day. The fish has more of a cloudy eye that has a bubble on it. I did a pwc and aerated the tank before introducing the new medication. I did not have a chance to cycle the tank.

Back
Top Bottom