Coral Beauty won't eat anything I feed him

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

taz291819

Aquarium Advice Regular
We picked up a Coral Beauty last Saturday (well, I wasn't there) and at first my Yellow Tang was harrassing him. After 2 days, the Tang left him alone and everything seemed fine. The CB is always picking at the live rock, I guess eating the algae growing on it.

The problem is, he won't eat anything I put in the tank. All the other fish eat very hardily. I've tried pellets, flakes, frozen brine shrimp, seaweed strips on a clip, and even cut up cooked string-beans. Like I said, the other fish are eating fine, the coral beauty won't touch any of it, just what's on the live rocks.

He seems healthy though and my water parameters are perfect, tank temp is a constant 81-degrees.

Any ideas?

continue to offer the algae in the clip. Eventually the coral beauty will discover this as a tasty food source. Im suprised that brine shrimp did not get it eating. thats like candy to fish.

I just went through the same thing with my Flame Angel. Got Him Sat. My yellow tang harassed him for a couple days(little bugger) and he picked at the LR for 3-4 days.

He finally starting eating a little yesterday and today he ate like a mad man! I had offered algae too but the yellow tank kept guard of it. I'm feeding him Formula 2 if your curious.

Best of luck. I'm sure in the next day or so he'll come around.

I'm going to pick up some Formula 2 and another algae clip (my Tang protects his also). I did notice the Coral Beauty was picking at the algae on the glass, successfully at that. Who needs some stinkin' snails when you have one of these? :D

good luck with that my coral beauty was and still is a pain. make sure you feed him different vareity weekly. i had mine just on flakes since thats all he would eat. i have know had him eat mysis and a frozen angel food. and as far as dried seaweed goooood luck, after 6 months i barley and rarley get him to eat any of it. you might also want to include garlic in the diet for the first month, because i didnt and between coral beauty and the regal tang i had an ich factory. but their still good fish to have in the tank.

It's probably just taking some time to adjust in the new tank. Just keep an eye on it though because you want to make sure that it isn't showing signs of sickness.

YOu can try a garlic product like GarlicGuard or Garlic Extreme. It is thought to stimulate appitite.

Tried Formula 2, he's the only one in the tank that won't touch it. I put a second clip in the tank with algae strips, he nibbles on it every once in a while, so that's a good sign I guess. He's not showing any signs of sickness and now gets along with everyone. The tomatoe clown (who is smaller) follows him around a lot.

I've got a big jar of minced garlic in the 'fridge, anyway I can use that? If not, I'll stop by the lfs and pick some up.

Back
Top Bottom