Coral beuaty with white hazed eyes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jamal-188

Aquarium Advice Addict
I'll try to get a pic later but for some odd reason my coral beauty has a white haze over his eyes. It started a coupel weeks back and I thought maybe he just scratched them or something happened but they are much worse now. I don't understand how this could have happened, I have not added a fish to this tank for months. I have purchased comse corals/inverts lately but I never add water from the LFS. Any ideas what this could be or how to treat it, I"m hoping it doesn't spread to all my other fish :(

Agreed with quarry but I wouldn't move to a QT as yet. These types of problems are often easily dealt with. Eye problems are usually caused from some sort of trauma to the eye and made worse by water quality. Not to suggest your water is not good, just there may be enough DOC to feed the bacteria making it harder for the fish to fight it off itself.

Do several water changes over the next week with well aged SW and feed with vitamin foods high in [acronym="Highly Unsaturated Fatty Acid"]HUFA[/acronym]. You can also add 1 tablespoon of epsom salts per 50 gal of tank water. The Magnesium will help with any eye swelling. If you do not have an Mg test, do not add more than once a week. The water changes should add a decent amount as well.

Cheers
Steve

Sounds good guys, I know I probalby have a higher livel of DOC's than I should. I run chemi-pure 24/7 and have a skimmer but it's not the best in the world. I'll test mg today and alternate between Zoe, Vita-chem, and Selcon when I feed them. Thanks again! :D

Did a few 20% water changes and adding Epson salt to raise my mg which was only 1050. His eye is actually worse today, it's really swollen, I think maybe I should remove him and medicate him now. Any recomendations as to what I should use?

If the eye is getting worse either the bacterial infection has advanced too far or the level of DOC in the water is still too high.

If you decide to remove the fish and treat in a QT you need to be extremely careful how you catch the fish. Any further trauma to the eye could cause the fish to lose the sight in that eye or worse yet, come loose from the socket. If at all possible avoid a net.

Treat with Maracyn II at double the dose daily for 7 days total.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom