Coral Confusion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ftuti01

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
1. Type & how long you have had it: 5 years-12 gal nano
2. Current lighting & Bulb Age: 1 month old -k2 viper
3. Nitrate:0
4. Calcium:-
5. Phosphate:0
6. Alkalinity:-
7. pH:8.0
8. Salinity:1.021
9. Temperature:78
10. Liquid or strip test kits: both
11. Location in tank: low
12. Current amount of flow: no additional flow other then filter pump
13. Current tank dosing regimen: B-Ionic- Calcium and Alkalinity daily
14. Nearby coral:mushroom, xenia, orange polys
15. Explanation of problem:

The problem I'm having is with my pulsing xenia. It will not pulse or growing and most of the time it is very small. I'm a little over due for a new chemi-pure filter media though. I'm so confused because my tanks perimeters are almost prefect. I have one ricordea mushroom and its even looking bad. I had a problem with aiptasia for awhile but I use Red Sea Aiptasia-X but they just keep coming back, I actually had one eat my peppermint shrimp which I couldn't even believe. I have coraline algae all over my tank and I though that was a sign of well established tank but I never have any luck with corals. Any suggestions? Thank you

Pulsing Xenia doesn't always pulse. The pulsing is believed to actually be assisting with oxygenating the water and that having a "dirtier" water is what they prefer, rather than the pristine conditions we aim for in our reef tanks.

I also noticed some white stringy stuff (looks like a spider web) attaching to corals and rocks, any suggestion on this?

Google "Vermetid snail".
I would say you need more flow in the tank for starters. You should raise your salinity to 1.025-1.026 also.
You can't possibly need to dose 2 part daily with your current corals. Have you tested for calcium and alk? I would stop this immediately and do a few water changes to get levels back to normal.

That's what they first sold me was that combination, they want to me use iodine now. The petstore I go too.

I no im not suppose to supplement anything unless I test it first but the petstores are very quick to sell you a supplement.

Anything natural to get rid of Aiptasia it just comes back.

Back
Top Bottom