Coral degradation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

randy07

Aquarium Advice Regular
If there is ammonia in the tank not a lot just first color how long would it take for coral to lose color and fall apart iv tries everything no other readings were off never checked magnesium though sever urging was fine and growing then boom all the sudden started loosing color and flesh literally within one week everything is gone except zoas and they seemed to have multiplied im stumped

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Everything *

No idea but it just keeps coming back I'm stumped

I do weekly water change

Can ammonia come from dying coral

Last edited by a moderator:
No from the fish store...

Then it sounds like this tank wasn't cycled. A properly cycled can't shouldn't have any readings of ammonia or nitrite unless there is a huge die off in the system.

It's been cycled it's been up for like 6 months stuff was fine doing good and it came out of no where there was no die off till the corals started dying

They didn't die for no reason and those reasons are pretty limited. If it was as quickly as you say, it was ammonia. If it was slower and degrade over time it could be lack of lighting, flow, and several other things.

I have hydra leds that are maybe a year old I don't think it's my flow I wake up to a new Aquascape every morning from my sand getting blown around

So ammonia makes it happen quick? Why are my fish still alive

Could my lights have been too high because they were at like 80 at one time

If you upgraded to these lights from something much weaker or didn't acclimate them to the much stronger lights you can very easily burn your corals to death.

They started turning brown and people started saying it wasn't enough light so I turned them up and that made other stuff dye

And they were first lights on the tank

65 tall 2 chromis six line wrasse yellow tail blenny and a very small juvenile queen angel yes I know the tank is too small but it's tiny I will take it back when it gets bigger so don't harp on me about that 1 cleaner shrimp 3 nassarrius snails 2 bumble bees 5 red leg hermits and an emerald crab

Actually no I didn't every two weeks I went up 5 percent

Back
Top Bottom