Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 10-07-2004, 02:52 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Coral help after heater broke

I had a heater issue yesterday....it failed on and the temp in my tank got above 95 degrees

Needless to say the corals didn't look so hot. As of today the zoo's and most of my mushrooms look good, my finger leathers skin looks wrinkled but the polyps are out and its standing up right again (it was almost laying horizontal last night) and the small Kenya tree I have looks okay, though it hasn't fully opened up yet today.

The problem seems to be with a bubble coral and an elegance. The bubble inflated a little when the lights came on but not really that much, and there doesn't seem to be much of anything left of the elegance. What has come out today on the elegance looks to be shedding.

Can any one think of anything I can do to try to help these guys so I don't lose them?

I plan on a water change, but I didn't have any made up (i just did a water change the day before) so it will be a few hours before that happens.

Should i try to feed the bubble and elegance solid foods? Cut back lighting? Should i leave it alone and let it run its course?

The fish in the tank (2 three stripe damsels and a yellow tang) are swimming around fine and the tang has been eating off his sea weed clip all morning

"I know the human being and fish can coexist peacefully."
—Saginaw, Mich., Sept. 29, 2000
ClamKnuckle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2004, 09:13 PM   #2
After something like that your corals will be quite stressed. Thankfully by the sounds of it no SPS (?) so all is not lost

A few good sized water changes with well aged SW will definately help but being as stressed as the corals will be, I'd also run carbon (swapped a few times) to remove the chemicals the corals will have given off in response to this. Don't feed anything to the corals directly, it will only add to their stress. Once (if depending on type) they start perking up, then I'd suggest a helping hand to aid in the recovery. For the most part though just try maintaining the water quality and keep DOC as low as possible. A liquid marine vitamin added after the carbon is done with will help.

Most of the soft corals should pull through but I would honestly not hold out hope for the elegence. If any of the softies start showing any signs of necrosis, be sure you clean it off and/or frag it. Once they start to degrade they usually fall fast but are often salvagable. Be very watchfull for brown jelly disease.

Old 10-15-2004, 06:38 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic
I'm sorry to hear that Clamknuckle . How are they doing now? My best friend lost her two flowerpots and xenia during the hurricane (we are Central Florida). She was really depressed about it. Her temp was at 86-87 when she noticed it, but it was probabally an issue before she caught it since the power had been off for a few days. All of her other corals (softies) made it though. So did her fish. Anyways, I hope everything is ok now.
Alex n Mary

150 gallon, 30g fuge/sump, 4.5 watt/gal VHO Lighting, 4" sand bed, 290 lbs LR, CDX-3 Nitrate/Phosphate filter

Female Naso "Isabell" or "Izzy", Emperor Angelfish, Flame Angel, Red Sea Sailfin tang "Bambi", Maroon Clown "Nani", 5 Chromis, 1 Aglae Blenny "Bengi" , Yellow Watchman Goby, pr of Banggai Cardinals, Lyretail Anthia, Six Line Wrasse

1 cleaner shrimp, Coral Banded Shrimp, lettuce nudibranch, 1 sand sifter stars, 1 tiny red brittle star "red", 1 tiny red and white banded serpent star, 2 tiny banded serpent stars, small orange Linkia starfish, assorted hermits and snails. Corals: star polyps, A ton of different types of mushrooms, yellow zooanthids, brown-orangish and light blue paly's, orange ricordia.

90g RR, W/D, 120 lb's LR SF eel, pygmy angel, pr sebae clownfish, 4 chromis. Star Polyps & Mushrooms
clowninround is offline   Reply With Quote

coral, eat, eater, heater

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com