Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-29-2005, 12:26 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Coral looks like it isn't doing too well.

I put a piece of this coral http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/p...cfm?pCatId=753 and I put it down on the rock. now when i got it from the store it was looking very good in their tank. Now I haven't seen it even try to filter for food. It keeps moving it's parts around a little(up and down) but looks like a slight film of skin is coming off it and like I said I haven't seen it feed any. What could i add to the water or what do i need to do to make it healthy?
Duck

Old 01-29-2005, 12:30 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Hey Duck - Welcome to AA! We will need some more info from you to help troubleshoot here:

How long has the tank been setup?
What type of coral is it?
What type of lighting do you have?
Substrate?
Water parameters - pH, Nitrate, Nitrite, Calcium, and Ammonia, SG, temp.
How did you acclimate it?

Mike

Old 01-29-2005, 02:51 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

His link shows the coral as a leather.
Old 01-29-2005, 03:13 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Over sight.

Mike
Old 01-29-2005, 02:20 PM   #5

Thank you very much for welcoming me to the forum. I do not have all of the information that you are looking for but here is what I have to offer as of right now.

The lighting is very good. The tank is a small 5 gal tank with one fish and 6lbs of liverock. Looks great and the lighting is beautiful. As far as lighting and water clarity goes it looks just like the stores where I got it. I did a google on substrate and found out what you were asking lol. It is sitting on a rock atm. Does this affect it? I figured that it didn't matter so much because it is a filter feeder. The temp of it is around 74 degrees fahrenheit. I keep constat watch on that temp. My fishy seem to love it. He's beautiful. As far as pH and all of that goes I do not have your information required. I will be going to the store to get the items needed to test this then I will report back. I guess I just figured there was something I could add to the water to make it start filtering.

I do change about half a gallon of water out on a regular basis with the stores water though. So it stays nice and clean.
Old 01-29-2005, 06:01 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

A 5g tank is very small for a Toadstool as they get huge. I would also bump the temp up a few degrees. You should pick yourself up some basic test kits and monitor closely. It is going to be difficult to maintain stability in a tank that size. Make sure it is getting some water flow as you should see the tenticles swaying.
46g SW, 65 lbs Fiji LR, 4" Aragamax DSB, Coralife 2X96w CF, CPR Bakpak II, CPR Aquafuge 12 w/ 2x9 Coralife Mini Aqualight, 4 Maxijet 600's, PCI 200W Titanium Heater, 2 Blue Green Chromis, 1 Gold Bar Maroon Clown, 1 Purple-Stripe Dottyback, Finger Leather, Trumpets, Rose Coral Open-Brain, Pagoda Cup, Xenia, Star Polyps, Yellow Polyps, Various Mushrooms, Toadstool Leather, 12 Astraea, 10 Nassarius, 4 Bumble Bee, 6 Cerith Snails, 12 Red Tip Hermits.
phases99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2005, 06:46 PM   #7

yes it has good water flow with where the pump is located. This exact setup has been running int he store for some 8 months that i've seen it now with no problems. He says because of the liverock it takes care of itself so long as i change part of the water on a regular basis. The only thing that changes is the temp of the water. which i do my best to keep constant. I now have it at some 78 degrees F. I was planning on holding it here. I am going to the store now i will bbl.
Old 01-29-2005, 09:33 PM   #8

Ok i went and ran a test and here is what i got...

Nitrate: 40ppm
Hardness: does this matter?
Alkalinity: got a blue so i'm guessing 300 or more ppm
pH:looks around 7.4
Old 01-29-2005, 09:51 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

Nitrates need to be under 20
Ph needs to be between 8.2 - 8.4
Temp should stay stable - stability is more important than actual temp, although 74 is way too low.
I would slowly increase the temp. Slowly being key - you don't want a quick rise, it will stress everything in the tank
Get a buffer for the ph and do a water change for the nitrates.
I don't know about your hardness and alkalinity as I don't have corals yet.
HTH
55 gal. reef. Coralife lunar lights 4 x 65, 120 lbs live rock. Remora skimmer, 3 power heads. 2 tank raise false percula,2 pajama cardinal,hermits, snails, Xenia, leathers, mushrooms, polyp frags, yellow sea cucumber, And last but not least - the miserable mantis.
Terry
stusclan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2005, 09:55 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Nitrate is way too high, 10-20 ppm max even for hardy corals. Alk is whats important in SW and 300 ppm sounds way too high (usually measured in dkh or meg/l). PH is way too low. You need to slowly bring that up to 8.2. At these levels your Toadstool will not survive very long. All changes in parameters need to be done very slowly, but a 25% water change will help correct this.

46g SW, 65 lbs Fiji LR, 4" Aragamax DSB, Coralife 2X96w CF, CPR Bakpak II, CPR Aquafuge 12 w/ 2x9 Coralife Mini Aqualight, 4 Maxijet 600's, PCI 200W Titanium Heater, 2 Blue Green Chromis, 1 Gold Bar Maroon Clown, 1 Purple-Stripe Dottyback, Finger Leather, Trumpets, Rose Coral Open-Brain, Pagoda Cup, Xenia, Star Polyps, Yellow Polyps, Various Mushrooms, Toadstool Leather, 12 Astraea, 10 Nassarius, 4 Bumble Bee, 6 Cerith Snails, 12 Red Tip Hermits.
phases99 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
coral

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com