coral melting??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bkushy

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have read about corals melting. Is this what is happening to my coral?

ForumRunner_20131216_002152.jpg

It is a 90 gallon and all parameters are good. Added a yellow Fiji leather recently and it seems to be OK. Only thing that concerns me is my lighting. I currently have a 6 bulb t5ho setup that I believe the bulbs are aging in. When u say bleaching though I assume too much light. I also recently switched from instant ocean to Kent marine salt. It started this before the switch though. The reason I have allowed my bulbs to age a little is because I will be replacing them with two ai sol blue fixtures after Christmas. I believe the bulbs are 6 or 7 months old now. Do you think this is the problem? Hoping not because I am sure the switch to led Will cause enough stress in itself.

I will also retest my tank tomorrow. My last results are stored on my old phone but everything was pretty much perfect. I keep my salinity at 1.026 water temp at 79

Where is it in the tank? Did you acclimate it to the tank/light? It is already showing tissue recession, so when your new LEDs show up you can only do more damage at this point if you don't ensure those LEDs are turned way down. It is really easy to underestimate the water penetrating power of LEDs.
When you get your new parameters let us know.

It is at about the midway point. My tank is 26 inches deep. Also slightly shielded from lights by a power head. I have baby snails like crazy and if I understand correctly my water parameters have to be pretty good for them to survive. Is this correct? ? Coral was drip acclimated and I have had it about three months. This has been very slowly getting worse for the past 2-4 weeks. I am quite busy in November so tank didn't get as much attention as it should have.

I planned on starting the led lights at about 25% and slowly creeping to about 50 over the course of a few weeks.

I'm about to start testing my water but does anyone think I should raise or lower this coral in my tank? It is on the right hand side below the power head.

ForumRunner_20131216_211355.jpg

Here are my results so far
Calcium 430
Magnesium 1120 a little low
Kh 10.6
Nitrate 0
Phosphate between 0 and .25
Salinity 1.026

I can try it a little lower. See what happens. Should i place it right on the sand bed??

Back
Top Bottom