Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 01-11-2011, 11:55 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict
Originally Posted by lauriemae View Post

One final question...my son feeds various things to the fish, mysis shrimp, blood worms, marine snow...but just small amounts. Is that OK?...
Just in case I was misunderstood, when I mentioned "lay off the feeding" I meant the additives that were intended as "coral food". Normal feeding for the fishies should be expected, and your LPS (like the frogspawn) will snag uneaten bits now and then for a snack. I'm not sure if the Fish benefit from the Marine Snow though - it's mostly meant to feed filter feeders like tube worms, sponges, etc... stuff that consume phytoplankton and dissolved organics. If you don't have anything that needs it, it just fouls the water.

Kurt_Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 12:10 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
yes, a variety is good to feed the fish with, but i believe marine snow's particles are too small for the fish. i would move the fish over to the larger tank.

btw, i don't find that red valonia to be that unsightly. i wouldn't worry too much about it. just pluck them every so often and enjoy your tank.

mr_X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 12:39 PM   #13
AA Team Emeritus

Originally Posted by lauriemae View Post
Thanks for the answers....are you saying the 20,000 bulb is not necessarily what to do? Need to know before I spend the money. Will the corals eventually get used to the light? The couple I purchased the frags from had very strong MH lights...why are they reacting so poorly in mine? I can understand the xenia, colt, frogspawn, etc. but still shocked they did so good for a week or so. I can understand (now, lol) the difference in the 10 & 14 K lights but everything shriveled up big time, too much light or the switching of bulbs?

There was more flow in the nano...I had an extra pump giving out additional flow and that was in a 12 gallon. Think I need something more on the biocube?
Nope, wasn't saying the 20,000K was a bad idea, just pointing out that it is going to change the color spectrum and make things look more blue. The shriveling is probably a combination of both factors. As Doug pointed out, water clarity can also play a roll, so if the the corals under strong MH lighing were moved into your tank with less light, they may be closed up do to drop in lighting - this would be perfectly fine, as they will eventually open up as they get used to the lower lighting.

Personally, I've found flow rates to be a big issue with zoas in particular, so you may want to look at adding some addition powerheads in order to increase your flow rate and see if that helps the zoas open up.

the Bog

"Listen to some of these guys talk, and it's like they were born from their momma's belly with a fishkeeping encyclopedia in one hand and an API kit in the other" (unrevealed).
Wy Renegade is offline   Reply With Quote

coral, new reef tank, reef, reef tank, tan, zoas

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com