Coral neoplasia

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ccCapt

SW 20 & Over Club
I thought I started a thread on this a while back, but couldn't find it. Anyway, I've been in touch and sending pics to Eric Borneman for the last few months on the progression of this anomaly.

Here's some pics of the progression. I'm sending these latest pics to Eric and possibly a few tissue samples to 1 of the coral experts Eric works with.

2-18-09
growth2_2-18-09.jpg

growth1_2-18-09.jpg

growth_2-18-09.jpg

4-20-09
acro-growth2_4-20-09.jpg

acro-growth1_4-20-09.jpg

7-12-09
acro-growth1s_7-12-09.jpg

acro-growth2s_7-12-09.jpg

acro-growth3s_7-12-09.jpg

This is what Eric told me when I 1st contacted him.

"Unless there are extenuating circumstances that I/you are unaware of, this is a "tissue-skeletal anomaly" that is more commonly known as neoplasia. They are common in Acropora - this type - and may multiply. To diagnose true neoplasia for a coral, you would have to do both tissue and skeletal sectioning and microscopic exam, but the gross signs are very consistent and also, like I said, a pretty common occurrence in the field and in tanks. That area may stay the same size or grow in size. Eventually, there may be some loss of tissue if the affected area expands, leaving a depression and dead area in the center of the lesion, but it is rarely if ever something that would cause the death of a colony.

Could you send me high resolution photos to add to my collection of such syndromes in aquarium corals?

Thanks."

They are only growing in those 2 areas, so depending on what Eric Borneman says, I'll probably take a dremel to the coral and cut out the affected parts.

You can't really tell by the pics, but the growths are hard calcium deposits. When they 1st started growing I thought it was a sponge or something until I tried to scrape it off.

Good luck with the surgery, please let us know how the patient and doctor make out.

I remember this thread from a while back to, also searched but came back epty as to its whereabouts. I would leave it be and see what growth rate occurs unless you just want to send off a lab sample. I doubt cutting it would necessarily stop regrowth unless some type of chemical was applied.

Back
Top Bottom