Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-11-2005, 07:32 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

coral not opening

I've recently picked up some new corals and they at first semmed to be doing fine but they are increasingly opening less and less. I have a sinularia finger leather, lemnalia tree coral, and some button polyps.

I had flouresent green mushrooms and red mushrooms which both seem to be doing fine.

My tank is a 125g w/: 2 96w 10,000k, 2 96w 50/50's, and 2 96w actintics. All of the corals are down about 12"-14" from the top.

Here is my water info:

Amm - 0
nitrite - 0
nitrate - 0
PH - 8.2
Calcium - 460
Kh - 6/107.4
Phos - 0

I had recently done a 15% water change. I have not added any supplements or plankton. I don't think it's a lack of supplements since the shrooms are growing steadily. And I thought it might be a lack of plankton but if I add plankton and they are all closed up would they be able to eat?

Any thoughts? Your input would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Old 04-11-2005, 10:03 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

How long has it been???? some corals can take longer to get adjusted then others

TANK PICS http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=98202
seaham358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2005, 11:46 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Kh 6..Your Alk is 6.0 dkh? If so, you need to get that up to a minimum of 8.0. Prefer 10. You're probably experiencing a dip in alk and I suspect you need to check mg levels due the high ca. Most keep 400 - 450 ca, so yours is juuuusst a hair on the high side. ca/alk/mg are the magic trio, you'll be restling with those the rest of your hobby's life ; ) Anyway, you need to raise your alk to 8, better is 9 or 10 some go as high as 12 but I keep my around 10 dkh. I use Kent's superbuffer. However, BEWARE..you need to raise it slowly. Maybe ~1 dkh / 2 -3 days. Once thats up you seriously need to check your mg levels. I suspect they are depressed. mg should run about 3 x your ca. So if your running ~450PPM ca then you should aim for 1350ppm mg. (Thats nsw levels ; )

best of luck!
Old 04-12-2005, 07:15 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

thanks for the info...I had thought my alk was on the low side but never heard anything about mg before.
Old 04-15-2005, 03:39 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

I've gotten my alk up to 9 and the sinularia is looking tons better.

However, my lemnalia seems about the same...still not too bad. And my button polyps are now all completely closed.

I've only had the polyps for a little under a week and each day more polyps would close...now they all are.

Any ideas as to what the trouble might be?
Old 04-17-2005, 05:38 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular

Okay, not one set of the button polyps are officially dead. The stalks are breaking off. There is another smaller set on the same rock that are looking too fantastic.

Any input at all would be appreciated...
Old 04-18-2005, 07:05 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Regular

I tried moving the polyps and so far no change. Of the two groups on the rock, the larger set is dead and the smaller set is going down hill. I'm going to re-test everything again today but my water should still be in good shape and the alk should be up to 10 by now.

Is it possible the polyps just suck or is it definitely something I'm doing wrong?
Old 04-18-2005, 08:05 PM   #8
steve-s

There is a fungus that sometimes attacks certain species/colonies of zoo's. Most times there's nothing you can do about it except frag a healthy unaffected section and hope for the best. Raising your chem like that will have no possitive affect on any coral species. You needn't raise the alk any higher than 150 ppm.

What color are the polyps and can you post a pic?

Cheers
Steve
Old 04-18-2005, 08:11 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Keep an eye open for predators. There is a hitchhiking snail that comes in on the colony and eats them at night. He looks like a normal snail but has a cone that covers his body opening when he closes. I believe there is a picture in the hitchhikers faq.
http://www.aquarank.com/in.php?id=fishfree
electrikat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2005, 08:17 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

http://www.reefs.org/hhfaq/pages/mai..._livestock.htm
Here's the link.

http://www.aquarank.com/in.php?id=fishfree
electrikat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
coral

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com