coral problems what should i do?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sean knight

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
my tank has been up now 6 to 7 weeks and im still having nitrite
spikes no ammonia nitrate is less than 10ppm its a 29g i have an eshopps 100 protein skimmer in the sump 2 hydor korila 750 on a wave maker should i have more filters am i doing something wrong here my corals look bad fish seem to be doing fine (clown,citron gobby) i also have a coralife 4 lamp 31w just dont know what else to do

How often are you feeding your fish and what type of food? Some foods seem to produce more nitrates than others.

Try doing one or two gallon water changes for a few days in a row and see if that helps.

You need to find the source of the nitrates and eliminate that. It could be something dead in your tank you didn't even know you had like a hitchhiking crab. It could be the food.

6-7 weeks is pretty new for a tank to successfully maintain corals. There are still alot of chemical reactions taking place and corals like a stable environment.
If you are seeing nitrites, something is dead and rotting and your biological filtration isn't established enough to keep up with it.

Back
Top Bottom