Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-09-2012, 11:11 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Coral safe ick meds

So I just lost my fairy wrasse to ick it was too late by the time I noticed now both my tangs have it. I been using coral safe meds since Tuesday but my orange shoulder seems a lot worse I don't know if he's gonna make it. What can I do.

Old 02-09-2012, 11:18 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Make sure it's a proper diagnosis first.. post some pictures?

When this happened to me, the only "for sure" way is to get all of the fish out of the tank into a QT tank and treat with copper. Leave the display tank with corals fishless for a period of time (I chose 6 weeks) to allow the parasites time to die without something to host on.

Right now I'm on like week 3 of having no fish in there. I lost 4 fish because I waited too long to treat them. 2 died in the DT and 2 died a day after treatment started. 3 have survived and are doing really well.

I've never tried any of the "coral safe" meds. From my research, impressions were that they did not work.

scottayy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 11:21 PM   #3

Try Kick Ick
Old 02-09-2012, 11:26 PM   #4

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2795814734.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	61.4 KB
ID:	75739

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1553663146.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	61.5 KB
ID:	75740

First one was a few days ago when I started meds. And second is today. I'm gonna have to buy a qt. tomorrow I don't think he's gonna make it though. Should I also put the cleanup crew in qt. also with the meds I have now should I have dosed enough for the sump too.
Old 02-09-2012, 11:29 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Definitely looks like white spot.

If you do decide to qt, you have to pay close attention and do water changes because the tank will cycle (bad for already stressed fish!).

If you decide to use copper, it will kill any inverts so don't put them in there. Any other medicine, I don't know.. you will have to read the label.

Just from what I've experienced in the past and seeing those photos your fish aren't going to make it (not trying to be mean!). It is worth trying though.

But having a quarantine tank ready to go on a moments notice is a very, very wise investment!
Old 02-09-2012, 11:31 PM   #6

Do I have to wait to cycle the qt
Old 02-09-2012, 11:34 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tough call! Up to you, but I don't think your fish will wait that long.

I didn't cycle mine, but I had filter media to help seed the bacteria and it is only a 10g so I could easily do 90% water changes. If you don't cycle, it will need daily testing and probably water changes for at least the first week.
Old 02-09-2012, 11:38 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Just for your info, I used a 10 gallon bare aquarium, 50w heater, hang on back filter, an air stone, and 4" pvc cut up on the bottom to give them a place to hide (don't use substrate on the bottom).

I used CopperSafe chelated copper with an API copper test kit. Daily topoffs to replace evaporation.

Please do a bunch of research before deciding on any treatment and ask people at your LFS.

There are also other methods to try like freshwater dips, hyposalinity, increased temp, other medications, vitamin/garlic supplementation, antibiotics, and combinations of these. Read about them to see if you would like to try them. But from what I understand, copper and a fishless DT is the best bet to get rid of it. QT and coral dipping is the best way to prevent it.
Old 02-09-2012, 11:38 PM   #9

K I'm gonna get a 10g after work tomorrow. Hopefully it won't be too late. Thank you so much
Old 02-09-2012, 11:49 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Skype™ to kdpuffer
Good luck, ick can be a real pain in the backside.

Tags
coral, ick, safe

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com