Coral shrivled up

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

EriksFish315

Aquarium Advice Addict
So tonight I picked up a Xenia frag that looked great at the reef store. Brought it home dipped and dripped acclimated an put itin the tank and was just shrivled and ugly looking. Any luck it will acclimate or did I kill it? Any other info on the Xenia coral will help.

Xenia are pretty hardy corals. How long did you drip? What's your lighting like? Water parameters ok?

Odds are if everything is ok, your Xenia should bounce back in the next day or so.

Dripped for an hour plus. Parameters are 0 across ph 8.3 just did a water change Sunday as well. Yeah I believe everything has to be ok my Duncan,brain,zoas,mushrooms are all doing fine. Just trying to also get more info from others with experience with them on here.

Xenia will either love your tank or hate your tank I found no in between. In one of my tanks the one I don't want it in it grows like crazy in another tank I wished it would take over it just slowly dies. Same hardware just different fish and corals none of the fish bother it just hates that tank.

Xenia will either love your tank or hate your tank I found no in between. In one of my tanks the one I don't want it in it grows like crazy in another tank I wished it would take over it just slowly dies. Same hardware just different fish and corals none of the fish bother it just hates that tank.

Yeah that's something else I heard....

Xenia was one of the first corals we tried. Newbs that we are we were always afraid we were torturing it. It'd shrink down to a nub when abused, almost a ball. Couldn't get it stuck to anything. Finally stuck a toothpick through the stem down low and rubber banded that to a small coral skeleton fragment. Brutal. Two days later it was attaching and looked fine. Still does. Pulled the toothpick out after a week and the hole just slowly filled in. They're tough buggers.

- D

Yeah guess so. Some time either in the tank and the reef store or during transport a couple polyps broke and dont look good. But other then that it's open looking fine.

You don't have to drip corals. I just float them, dip them when applicable, and put them right in the tank.

Alright guess I just was extra cautious lol. Didn't know if different water parameters would shock a coral. But I know now.

Back
Top Bottom