Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-31-2015, 12:24 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by PB_Smith View Post
What was the source of your water previously?
If it was from the tap there is the possibility of residual copper or other metals that could have been absorbed by the rock and slowly leaching back out.

Just the fact that your readings immediately dropped tells us there was a lot of dissolved solids in the source water, some maybe not desirable.
Yeh it was tap water. Never knew how bad tap water was until now. D:

Old 05-31-2015, 12:32 PM   #12

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1433086134.236396.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	191.4 KB
ID:	273018 all the corals are asleep now so it doesn't look that great.

that brown slime has really taken over that goniopora over the last couple of hours as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Old 05-31-2015, 12:34 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardingj View Post
Yeh ok no worries. As soon as I have a bit more money I'll be definitely looking into new lighting (probably this Current USA Orbit Marine LED Aquarium Fixture 48" 60" Wireless Ramp Timer PRO | eBay), but yeh one thing at a time.

I just tested my calcium at 420, and my KH at 10, both with API test kits. Does that sound better? I have 7 corals in my tank at the moment. Ill upload a picture as well.
Unfortunately I think that light is kinda underpowered at only 46 watts.
Orbit Marine LED Aquarium Light, Saltwater LED | Current-USA

regardless of what the manufacturer states, you probably want something with a little more power.
Most of the ones that are reasonably priced with all the bells, whistles, doodads and gadgets are also usually underpowered in terms of lighting power and when you dig deep into their literature, they often recommend multiple units.

Get one of those Taotronics or similar LEDs on amazon and some timers and you will be much happier in the long run and will have saved some $$.

at least that is my opinion......
Old 05-31-2015, 12:36 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardingj View Post
Yeh it was tap water. Never knew how bad tap water was until now. D:
I would recommend running some Chemi-Pure blue on the tank and see if that helps.
if you suspect residual copper (if your house has copper piping) maybe run some Cupra-sorb as well.
Old 05-31-2015, 12:50 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
No, that calcium is probably closer to the mid 300s.
The current fixture you linked is only good for low to medium light corals, so be sure that's all you want to keep before you pull the trigger.
Old 05-31-2015, 05:35 PM   #16
Macro Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

looking at this flower pot it's beyond saving , if it's producing a brown slim I would just remove it , before it spreads to other things , the light your running is only good for low light coral such as zoas , most lps need med to high light and steady med flow
sps needs high light with good flow , I'm sure if you remove it your going to notice a rancid smell thats because its almost completely dead , flower pots are one of the hardest lps to keep even for experts , invest in better lighting before you attempt more lps , or sps
Old 05-31-2015, 09:01 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
Don't dose the tank with anything.
Old 05-31-2015, 11:08 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by PB_Smith View Post
Unfortunately I think that light is kinda underpowered at only 46 watts.
Orbit Marine LED Aquarium Light, Saltwater LED | Current-USA

regardless of what the manufacturer states, you probably want something with a little more power.
Most of the ones that are reasonably priced with all the bells, whistles, doodads and gadgets are also usually underpowered in terms of lighting power and when you dig deep into their literature, they often recommend multiple units.

Get one of those Taotronics or similar LEDs on amazon and some timers and you will be much happier in the long run and will have saved some $$.

at least that is my opinion......

Would 2 of these be enough? In terms of cost 2 of these would still be cheaper then 1 of some other led lights I've looked at. And I'm not able to hang lights, as I'm renting so this one just seems the most convenient.

Old 05-31-2015, 11:11 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54seaweed View Post

looking at this flower pot it's beyond saving , if it's producing a brown slim I would just remove it , before it spreads to other things , the light your running is only good for low light coral such as zoas , most lps need med to high light and steady med flow
sps needs high light with good flow , I'm sure if you remove it your going to notice a rancid smell thats because its almost completely dead , flower pots are one of the hardest lps to keep even for experts , invest in better lighting before you attempt more lps , or sps

I woke up this morning to find it completely covered in that brown slime, so I've taken it out now. The same thing happened to my torch coral probably 2 months ago. Is there anything I can do to prevent this brown slime?

Old 05-31-2015, 11:16 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_X View Post
Don't dose the tank with anything.

Wasn't planning on it haha. Do you think this light would be better maybe http://daluaaustralia.com.au/OurProd.../Default.aspx?

Thanks for all your help

Tags
coral, ick, sick

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com