Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 05-31-2015, 12:24 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by PB_Smith View Post
What was the source of your water previously?
If it was from the tap there is the possibility of residual copper or other metals that could have been absorbed by the rock and slowly leaching back out.

Just the fact that your readings immediately dropped tells us there was a lot of dissolved solids in the source water, some maybe not desirable.
Yeh it was tap water. Never knew how bad tap water was until now. D:
__________________

__________________
hardingj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 12:32 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 31
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1433086134.236396.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	191.4 KB
ID:	273018 all the corals are asleep now so it doesn't look that great.

that brown slime has really taken over that goniopora over the last couple of hours as well.




Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
__________________

__________________
hardingj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 12:34 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Southern Cali
Posts: 1,734
Quote:
Originally Posted by hardingj View Post
Yeh ok no worries. As soon as I have a bit more money I'll be definitely looking into new lighting (probably this Current USA Orbit Marine LED Aquarium Fixture 48" 60" Wireless Ramp Timer PRO | eBay), but yeh one thing at a time.

I just tested my calcium at 420, and my KH at 10, both with API test kits. Does that sound better? I have 7 corals in my tank at the moment. Ill upload a picture as well.
Unfortunately I think that light is kinda underpowered at only 46 watts.
Orbit Marine LED Aquarium Light, Saltwater LED | Current-USA

regardless of what the manufacturer states, you probably want something with a little more power.
Most of the ones that are reasonably priced with all the bells, whistles, doodads and gadgets are also usually underpowered in terms of lighting power and when you dig deep into their literature, they often recommend multiple units.

Get one of those Taotronics or similar LEDs on amazon and some timers and you will be much happier in the long run and will have saved some $$.

at least that is my opinion......
__________________
PB_Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 12:36 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Southern Cali
Posts: 1,734
Quote:
Originally Posted by hardingj View Post
Yeh it was tap water. Never knew how bad tap water was until now. D:
I would recommend running some Chemi-Pure blue on the tank and see if that helps.
if you suspect residual copper (if your house has copper piping) maybe run some Cupra-sorb as well.
__________________
PB_Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 12:50 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
mr_X's Avatar


 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Fairless Hills, Pa.
Posts: 17,895
Send a message via MSN to mr_X
No, that calcium is probably closer to the mid 300s.
The current fixture you linked is only good for low to medium light corals, so be sure that's all you want to keep before you pull the trigger.
__________________
thanks,
Doug
mr_X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 05:35 PM   #16
Macro Addict
Community Moderator
 
54seaweed's Avatar



POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Colorado
Posts: 7,529

looking at this flower pot it's beyond saving , if it's producing a brown slim I would just remove it , before it spreads to other things , the light your running is only good for low light coral such as zoas , most lps need med to high light and steady med flow
sps needs high light with good flow , I'm sure if you remove it your going to notice a rancid smell thats because its almost completely dead , flower pots are one of the hardest lps to keep even for experts , invest in better lighting before you attempt more lps , or sps
__________________
Save
54seaweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 09:01 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
mr_X's Avatar


 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Fairless Hills, Pa.
Posts: 17,895
Send a message via MSN to mr_X
Don't dose the tank with anything.
__________________
thanks,
Doug
mr_X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 11:08 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by PB_Smith View Post
Unfortunately I think that light is kinda underpowered at only 46 watts.
Orbit Marine LED Aquarium Light, Saltwater LED | Current-USA

regardless of what the manufacturer states, you probably want something with a little more power.
Most of the ones that are reasonably priced with all the bells, whistles, doodads and gadgets are also usually underpowered in terms of lighting power and when you dig deep into their literature, they often recommend multiple units.

Get one of those Taotronics or similar LEDs on amazon and some timers and you will be much happier in the long run and will have saved some $$.

at least that is my opinion......

Would 2 of these be enough? In terms of cost 2 of these would still be cheaper then 1 of some other led lights I've looked at. And I'm not able to hang lights, as I'm renting so this one just seems the most convenient.


Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
__________________
hardingj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 11:11 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by 54seaweed View Post

looking at this flower pot it's beyond saving , if it's producing a brown slim I would just remove it , before it spreads to other things , the light your running is only good for low light coral such as zoas , most lps need med to high light and steady med flow
sps needs high light with good flow , I'm sure if you remove it your going to notice a rancid smell thats because its almost completely dead , flower pots are one of the hardest lps to keep even for experts , invest in better lighting before you attempt more lps , or sps

I woke up this morning to find it completely covered in that brown slime, so I've taken it out now. The same thing happened to my torch coral probably 2 months ago. Is there anything I can do to prevent this brown slime?


Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
__________________
hardingj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 11:16 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_X View Post
Don't dose the tank with anything.

Wasn't planning on it haha. Do you think this light would be better maybe http://daluaaustralia.com.au/OurProd.../Default.aspx?

Thanks for all your help


Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
__________________

__________________
hardingj is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
coral, ick, sick

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sick or injured (probably sick) Cardinal Tetras MartinBlank Freshwater & Brackish - Unhealthy Fish 1 12-08-2010 07:08 PM
2 x sick anemones, 1 x sick nudi coral but coriamorphs great flanque Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral 9 05-17-2005 07:08 PM
Sick Ram and Sick Cory mattrox Freshwater & Brackish - Unhealthy Fish 5 05-15-2005 06:00 AM
Sick Liz, sick puppy TankGirl Aquaria Off-Topic 27 03-15-2005 12:11 PM
sick sick fish jmusgrave Freshwater & Brackish - Unhealthy Fish 3 03-07-2005 03:43 AM







» Photo Contest Winners








Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:20 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.