coraline algea "bleaching"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RocketSeason

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey gang.

I noticed that a significant amount of coraline algea has started to bleach on one of my rocks. (it turns bright white.)

Is it dying? should I start dosing with calcium?

I do not at this time know what my parameters are currently, I will do a test when I get home tonight. Last time I checked was friday and they were fine then.

I do have a significant amount of tap water still left in the system. could this have something to do with it?

Checked my parameters tonight.

everything is 0 across the board. ph is a steady 8.2 and temp ranges between 78 and 80 degrees.

any clues as to what could be going on?

What are your alk/Ca readings and what kind of lighting do you have?

Cheers
Steve

do not know the alk/Ca readings right now. need to go get a test kit.

I have the standard hood light right now. Does this affect coarline growth? I thought that coraline algea was not affected by light or the lack there of.

Certain colors of coralline can survive quite well and indeed thrive under lower light. Such as green, red, orange and black. The pink and deep purples will not normally do well with lower light and typically need about 2+w/gal to be maintained. Coralline actually thrives under true actinic lighting. If the lights you have now are even close to that I would suspect the water chemistry or some recent change.

Try getting the water tested at the LFS to see where things stand. Have you checked at night for the possibility of an urchin?

Cheers
Steve

hmmm...intresting...an urchin.

I doubt that is the problem.

I think I am going to get a 10,000K bulb soon and use that till I can get my lighting upgrade, The other problem is possibly the tap water still left in the system.

RocketSeason said:
The other problem is possibly the tap water still left in the system.
It's a possibility but if you run carbon, most problem items would have been removed for the most part. Problems like these are typically water chem (alk/Ca) and/or lighting.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom