Corals and PH treatment

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AndiH011

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi all,

This weekend I noticed my PH was low not sure why or how to find out just yet.

Well I dosed the DT with API proper PH 8.2 and straight away my goniopra and lobo shrivelled up and seems like it is taking ages for them to come back out. Did I do this wrong should I have taken them out whilst dosing or is this a natural reaction

Thanks for any advice

What was your pH before you dosed? What was your alkalinity before and after dosing? Anything that is supposed to boost pH will also raise alkalinity.

While dosing can have it's advantages it should be done as sparingly as possible. Adding things just mucks up the water chemistry. :)

My ph runs at about 7.8 and it doesnt move unless i am dosing for alkalinity and even then it stays at 8.1 tops. I don't adjust the ph as I think and have heard countless times it's best to leave it alone if it's consistent. Also, when in doubt do a water change. The salt mix will adjust the ph and everything else back to where it should be.

Hi both,

I have been using API test kit and it was looking to me as though it was at about 8.2. I had a Chromis go on me so I took a sample to my LFS and they rated with a pen and showed 7.5 which I was told was very low and advised to dose.

I am of the same opinion when adding any chemicals but given the advice i thought it would be ok

Both corals seem to be ok now as they are slowly coming back out but still was the advice I was give good?

Rated with a pen? What does that mean? Increasing gas exchange is the best way to raise ph. More surface agitation may be necessary.

mr_X said:
Rated with a pen? What does that mean? Increasing gas exchange is the best way to raise ph. More surface agitation may be necessary.

Hi Mr X

The pen meaning a digital pocket PH meter lol

So I could point the power head more at the surface and that will promote gas exchange in-turn stabilising the PH levels?

Yep, thats the best way to raise and maintain ph. Unless there is a gas exchange issue in your house with being shuttered in. I keep the a/c running most of the time so my windows are never open and I end up having low ph. :-(

carey said:
Yep, thats the best way to raise and maintain ph. Unless there is a gas exchange issue in your house with being shuttered in. I keep the a/c running most of the time so my windows are never open and I end up having low ph. :-(

I might have to get a smaller power head as well then if the majority of the flow will be pointing at the surface it will not produce enough flow through the tank.
My heating in the house has been on a little more than usual as it has been quite cold here.

Back
Top Bottom