Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-06-2005, 01:47 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

The broken powerhead may be part of the problem. Cyno tends ot collect in areas of little or no water movement. Replace it with two new ones to ensure a more caotic water flow.
Quote:
We are trying to help but you are not really cooperating here
You have to throw us a bone here. We are asking specific questions for a reason. If you want prompt advice please answer them. What is the PO4 level in your source water? Tank water? It is very possible to have cyno in your tank with a very low PO4 reading. This just means that there is enough for the cyno to consume and enough to support it. What do you feed, how often, and how do you prepare it?

Old 08-06-2005, 01:51 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Activist

Nitrates, if I read your first post correctly seem to be at 20??? Well this is definitely high if after a PW your reading is still that high, you should check the water you are using for your PWC. Are you using RO/DI? If not use it and after some PWC and over time you should have your nitrates and phosphates much lower... If you consider the high readings on nitrates and probably phosphates plus the high temps at this time of year, unicellular algae might appear (this might be your case....)
Good luck!!

Old 08-06-2005, 02:24 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via MSN to pufferman
same thing with me. it was summer and cyano took off. maybe cause my temp goes from 75 to 86 in one day? I immersed my canister filter in a bucket of ice to help. LFS said that the high temp is affecting the alk and buffering capacity of my tank. is this true?
Tank Specs as of December 29, 2005:Ammonia:0;Nitrite: 0;Nitrate=0;Cu:0
PH: 8.3
SG: 1.028;Temp: 79-84 degrees F (Adjusts throughout the day)
pufferman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2005, 05:59 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

I don't know what te paper bag thing is?

pufferman: What do you have to do to get the nassarius snails to eat the cyano? Add more LR? Not sure about that one. IME, nassarius snails won't eat cyano. I tried some a fighting conch bu not sure if he ate it or not.

Be careful adding LR to an existing system with fish. Make sure it is cured.
Old 08-06-2005, 06:03 PM   #15
zacdl

I was htinking of taping paper bag around the front and side glass for tomorrow when the lights will be off 24 hours, to keep all the external light out?

The powerhead motor works its just not producing flow for some reason. And the PH went down just a day ago, I do not think that is the problem to the cyano, being the cyano has been around for a while.

As for feeding goes I have been feeding very little, every other day, just enough so the fish/shrimp eat it all in a few mins. I feed plankton, veggie flakes mainly, but occasionaly zooplankton (although I have not been feeding this recently because I know it is more rich in protiens and would make cyano worse)

Also put Vita Chem (if thats it) on the food for vitamins for the fish, have always done this.

Maybe should I look into a phosphate reactor thing? Would that take care of my problem? I dont know how else to keep nitrates down lower than what it is (PWC only can get it so low) without having a fuge, which is out of the question right now.

Should I start using some Amquel to keep the levels at 0?
Old 08-06-2005, 06:19 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via MSN to pufferman
the lfs guy said that the LR would reduce my nitrates, and the nassarius snails mop of the cyano. He put some in his tank, and they ate his cyano.
Tank Specs as of December 29, 2005:Ammonia:0;Nitrite: 0;Nitrate=0;Cu:0
PH: 8.3
SG: 1.028;Temp: 79-84 degrees F (Adjusts throughout the day)
pufferman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2005, 06:24 PM   #17
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Hara
<Should I start using some Amquel to keep the levels at 0?>

That is just what I mean zac, you are looking for a chemical quick fix. Sometimes
just good old manual labor is best..water changes!
Old 08-06-2005, 06:25 PM   #18
zacdl

Yes but water changes are not keeping the nitrates low enough for you guys, lol.
Old 08-06-2005, 06:47 PM   #19
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Hara
then do more of them.....and just for the record, it isnt for "us"

when do we get to see the specs on your water?
Old 08-06-2005, 06:49 PM   #20
zacdl

I did them evey other day there for a while and it didnt seem to help. And I cannot do them every day, what happens when I go away for a while? I dont know anybody that could do waterchages.

Tags
coral, corals, dyi, dying

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com