Corals dying!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Z

zacdl

My corals have been closed since the cyano started, now they are looking REALLY bad and am scared they might be dying.

Does cyano cause this? All the params are the same as they have been, I do not understand it.

Params-
Nothing changed. Corals were doing fine until cyano started. Now the PH quit working a day or two ago, but I doubt that would kill them that quick.

OK Phosphate is a trace. Not even close to the first level (.1)

Nitrates are as low as I can get them, been doing water changes (And a couple days ago (might been yesreday I do not recall) I just did a 33% PWC) Somewhere about 20 (although I really have no clue as 10+ all looks the same color to me)

Like I said everything seems fine and dandy, exept for the cyano.

Water parameters and pics? The info you provided is far to vague to even venture a guess as to what is happening.

Cyano should not kill your corals unless they are covered in it. You can rub the cyano off if it is getting on them. Not water flow or changes in what they are used too can make them not open. When I switched salts and and changed my lighting(separate events) my corals would act differently than normal. I made small transitions when I did it as well.

I would not be afraid to do a large water change if needed. Does not necessarily sound like it is needed though. Depends on water quality.

Ordered some Chemi Clean, guy at the LFS thought I was crazy because it doesnt work. I told him I have been told it does work, he said "Well see"

He said about $14-15, which isnt bad considering it would be a few dollars more than that on the net when you factor in shipping. In Tuesday (Gets here quicker too).

Now, I guess I will try the Chemi Clean. I am thinking SUNDAY to do like Hara suggested (I really do not want to do this too soon, or by the time I get chemical in there it may be bad again) and shut lights off for 24 hours. Then cut the lights way back to 8 hour a day on Monday for a week or until its under control.

Sound good to you?

I tried taking the cyano off but I am scared I will damage them. Think they will do OK until Tuesday or so?

sorry to say but i put chemi-clean in my tank. Just like everyone else said, its a band-aid, not a solution. It came right back into my tank. However i have many reef animals that should not dwelve in a 20 nitrate level like featherdusters and pods. It just seems to much.

OK, on Tuesday (and for a little while each day) there is external light coming into the tank. From the Kitchen, or dining room.

When the lights are off on Sunday, would this be OK or should I tape some paper bags to the front and side glass to shut out alot of the light? Then monday take them off?

Well Chemi Clean gets rid of the cyano, once its gone you do a monthly dose (Its just a small amount, if I remember right) to keep it away. I think this would work for me OK, lol. I would rather spend $15 a year to keep algea away then battle this stuff again.

You can use a PH to to blow the stuff off if you want. Just pick the frag up a put it in front of a PH. I have used my thumb to clean off zoos before.

If the corals are distressed, adding chemical might not make it better. I have heard chem clean won't harm corals but I have never tried it. I have always used a small diameter vinyl tube to suck the cyano out when I had it. Takes a small layer of sand sometimes but that is ok. If you get it out and keep the new water as pure as possible, it should go away. Reducing the photo period will help as well.

My PH isnt working, I dont know why. Nobody else offered suggestions on why its not working.

So I SHOULD do the paper bag thing on Sunday (Sorry to say but I am not going to do this but that one day :) )

Or just leave it be?

he ellisz, as you see in my sig, ive got 13 lbs of LR. Im adding 20 lbs on monday. Should this help me get my nitrates down? i have to do this so i can get nassarius snails to eat the cyano.

zac, if your ph isnt working then get another one..if you cant fix it, you have to replace it. Are you siphoning the cyano off of the corals and the rest of the tank? It does not sound like you are. Your water parameters are NOT ok as far as cyano goes if you have any phosphates or nitrates. Those two things will keep feeding it.
You have been asked about your water parameters and say it is fine and dandy. Please post the exact numbers after a test today, including ph, alk, sg etc. We are trying to help but you are not really cooperating here.

The broken powerhead may be part of the problem. Cyno tends ot collect in areas of little or no water movement. Replace it with two new ones to ensure a more caotic water flow.
We are trying to help but you are not really cooperating here
You have to throw us a bone here. We are asking specific questions for a reason. If you want prompt advice please answer them. What is the PO4 level in your source water? Tank water? It is very possible to have cyno in your tank with a very low PO4 reading. This just means that there is enough for the cyno to consume and enough to support it. What do you feed, how often, and how do you prepare it?

Nitrates, if I read your first post correctly seem to be at 20??? Well this is definitely high if after a PW your reading is still that high, you should check the water you are using for your PWC. Are you using RO/DI? If not use it and after some PWC and over time you should have your nitrates and phosphates much lower... If you consider the high readings on nitrates and probably phosphates plus the high temps at this time of year, unicellular algae might appear (this might be your case....)
Good luck!! :)

same thing with me. it was summer and cyano took off. maybe cause my temp goes from 75 to 86 in one day? I immersed my canister filter in a bucket of ice to help. LFS said that the high temp is affecting the alk and buffering capacity of my tank. is this true?

I don't know what te paper bag thing is?

pufferman: What do you have to do to get the nassarius snails to eat the cyano? Add more LR? Not sure about that one. IME, nassarius snails won't eat cyano. I tried some a fighting conch bu not sure if he ate it or not.

Be careful adding LR to an existing system with fish. Make sure it is cured.

I was htinking of taping paper bag around the front and side glass for tomorrow when the lights will be off 24 hours, to keep all the external light out?

The powerhead motor works its just not producing flow for some reason. And the PH went down just a day ago, I do not think that is the problem to the cyano, being the cyano has been around for a while.

As for feeding goes I have been feeding very little, every other day, just enough so the fish/shrimp eat it all in a few mins. I feed plankton, veggie flakes mainly, but occasionaly zooplankton (although I have not been feeding this recently because I know it is more rich in protiens and would make cyano worse)

Also put Vita Chem (if thats it) on the food for vitamins for the fish, have always done this.

Maybe should I look into a phosphate reactor thing? Would that take care of my problem? I dont know how else to keep nitrates down lower than what it is (PWC only can get it so low) without having a fuge, which is out of the question right now.

Should I start using some Amquel to keep the levels at 0?

<Should I start using some Amquel to keep the levels at 0?>

That is just what I mean zac, you are looking for a chemical quick fix. Sometimes
just good old manual labor is best..water changes!

Yes but water changes are not keeping the nitrates low enough for you guys, lol.

then do more of them.....and just for the record, it isnt for "us"

when do we get to see the specs on your water?

I did them evey other day there for a while and it didnt seem to help. And I cannot do them every day, what happens when I go away for a while? I dont know anybody that could do waterchages.

Back
Top Bottom