Corals just not growing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Limitedruboi

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I wanted to see if someone would be able to help me figure out why my corals are not growing. I've had my tank for about 2+ years now, and my corals for at least 6 months. It's just about all my corals and not just one.

My corals seem to be the same size as when I got them. Only my kenya is growing and spreads. I have zoos, mushrooms, leathers and candy canes. None of these are spreading and the zoos haven't opened in months. All my fish are fine and they are growing well. :p Some of my friends got the same corals as me, the same time and theirs are growing like crazy. I just can't figure out what it could be.

Any suggestions would be awesome!!!!!

First off welcome
I know how fustrating it can be but let me ask you some questions ...
What kind of light do you have and what how old are the bulbs?
What are your tests NitrAtes, calcuim , Mag , etc ?
What size tank ?
What are the inhabataints ?
Perhaps we can lead you if we get a few answers ...:D
I know not really helpful but we can direct you in the right way ...HTH

Thanks for replying, I have a 46 gallon, my light is a 36 in with 1 actinic and 1 10K bulb, I think 196w. the bulbs I replaced about 3 months ago. My tests have all been good and I use RO water. I have a yellow tang, sailfin tang, scopas, blue hippo, spotted goby, hawk fish, Dotyback, and a pair of ocellaris clowns (which I think at mating). Snails and crabs.

The hawk and dotty are caution in a reef , You have a huge bio and this may be a big part of your issue ( too many tangs in a small tank , a tank this size will not support tangs ) thus causing issues with the basics of NitrAtes ...are you testing other things besides the basics . If so what are you testing and are you dosing any thing ?
The lighting is a little on the lagging side , crabs may pick at the softies ...
Look closely at the zoas do you see anything on them ?
What are your numbers on your test ?
Candy canes do not "spread" persay they grow but need calcium for the skeletal structer ...
What is the SPG of the tank ...
Do you have any shrimps ?
What salt are you using and how often and how much are your water changes ?

4 tangs in a 46 gallon tank? Tangs need plenty of space. I would say that`s the problem. That`s a huge bioload for that size tank.

last two posts are correct, HUGE bioload for that size tank.
When you say your water parameters are "fine" could you post some exact numbers on the full workup?
Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
Phosphate:
Calcium:
Alk:

Back
Top Bottom