corals not opening fully

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

yaksplat

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have 3 corals in my 55 Gallon tank; a hammer, torch and frogspawn. I purchased them on saturday and they haven't fully opened. They have all been placed in the upper 1/3 of the tank under 2x96W PC.

Here are the water stats:

pH: 8.1 (working on increasing this)
ammonia: 0
nitrite: 0
nitrate: .075
alk: 8.5 dKH
Ca: 425
sg: 1.024
temp: 82ºF

Also, is there any conversion between the alk units around? (meg/L, dKH, etc..)

Thanks
Jim

How did you acclimate them? It is not uncommon for new corals to not fully open up for the first few days in the new tank. It looks like your alk is a littel low. You should try to get that up to 10.2. This should help your PH as well.

They were all acclimated with a 2 hour drip while floating.

Out of curiousity, is there any expected rate of calcium consumption for corals?

Jim

i havnt read anything about calcium consumption like that !! why ya need to test on a reg basis cause as they grow they use up more!!

hey, i'm an engineer, I need things expressing in equation form. Can't someone come up with non-linear, growth equation?......

Damn these natural sciences... Shouldn't a Fibonacci Number apply to this somehow ? :wink:

Jim

How's this....

"Alkalinity is measured in one of three units: milliequivalents per liter (meq/l), German degrees of hardness (dKH) or parts per million of calcium carbonate (ppm CaCO3). Any of the units may be employed but dKH is most commonly used in the aquarium hobby and meq/l is used exclusively in modern scientific literature. The conversion for the three units is:

1 meq/l = 2.8 dKH = 50 ppm CaCO3
"

yaksplat said:
hey, i'm an engineer, I need things expressing in equation form. Can't someone come up with non-linear, growth equation?......

darn these natural sciences... Shouldn't a Fibonacci Number apply to this somehow ? :wink:

Jim

Hehehe, if that were possible, you would be able to figure out your own exact time of death. That would take all the fun out of life.

Back
Top Bottom