Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-10-2006, 09:31 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

corrersafe questions

I started treating with coppersafe last night for ick. I tested the wter for my copper levels afterwards. Mt test is a little hard to read. The kit jumps from 20 to 30 and I know that the # needs to be about 25. The test has the tube that you add 10 drops of the solution into the tube of tank water. Do I read the test from looking from the side of the tube or from the top looking into the tube. I know that this has to be done correctly to work and not harm my fish. What are some signs that the fish are stressed?

Old 05-10-2006, 11:54 AM   #2
steve-s

The proper dosage for Coppersafe is 5 ml for every 4 gallon of actual water volume. The target copper level should be 1.5-2.0 ppm. When looking through the test tube, look through the side and hold it beside/just above the color chart. Be sure you are in good natural lighting and not fluorescent.

Signs of stress would be lethargy, color loss, appetite loss, swimming in front of powerheads and so on.

Cheers
Stve
Old 05-10-2006, 04:31 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

I have the fish in a 55g tank thay isn't quite topped off. I added 13 teaspoons of coppersafe. If I read the test from looking from the top it reads 2.0 but if I read from the side of the tube it looks more like it is between 0.5 and 1.0. I thought that I read in the instructions to read it from the top but I can't remember and I have misplaced the instructions. The test kit is by aquarium pharaceuticals, Inc. Thanks if you can help me. I will continue to try to find the instructions. I could just kick myself!!!!!!
Old 05-10-2006, 06:50 PM   #4
steve-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmkx3
I thought that I read in the instructions to read it from the top but I can't remember and I have misplaced the instructions.
Could be, don't know although that would be an uncommon way of doing so unless a shallow measuring container.

Have you tried sending them an email?

http://aquariumpharm.com/en_us/index.asp

Cheers
Steve
Old 05-11-2006, 05:58 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Thanks for your help. This kit is done from the top of the tube. My readings are about 1.5. The color is just slightly lighter than the color chart for 2.0. The fish are all eating. I am feeding them formula one and two soaked in garlic. The temp is 80 and all my other readings are 0 except for my nitrates,which are 40. I used 30g of water from my main. I guess that is why my reading is high. I am preparing to do a water change. I will add back the copper accordingly. How large of a water change do I need to do to effect the nitrate #? I am thinking 20%.
Old 05-11-2006, 08:26 PM   #6
steve-s

We covered this, yes?

Cheers
Steve
Old 05-12-2006, 09:59 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Steve, you and I seem to have some other forums in common. I always come here first, it's my favorite. I hadn't read your other post yet. If I am mistaken and this other Steve isn't you please forgive me Lol

Tinia
Old 05-12-2006, 10:28 AM   #8
steve-s

Tinia,

I am the same person as the other site.

Cheers
Steve
Old 05-12-2006, 08:20 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

I thought so LoL

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com