Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-22-2003, 06:41 PM   #31
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
Just to give you an idea of price from a different area of the country

My LFS has a 55 tank, stand and hood (plastic cover with two 15W florecent bulbs) for $239.00

45lbs of live rock if gotten local at lets say $5lb thats 225.00
If you get the rock online you should be able to do it for $3lb after shipping

65lbs of dry rock at lets say $2lb 130

marine basic test kit $25

skimmer $100

Lets say you do a 3" dry sand bed with 1" of live sand on top. Dry sand $5 / 50lb bag. Need lets say 3 bags. $15

Live sand (estimate 30lbs at lets say $2/lb) $60

Lets price a 200gal salt bucket $55 (you wll use maybe 1/4th this bucket to start yoru tank but after doing water changes you will need all of the bucket.

submersible heater 150W 2X $30

maxijet 1200 2X (powerheads) $44

Wet/dry filter $200 (i dont like canister filters on salwater setups and if you ever venture into a reef you will be glad you made the investment in a sump (aka wet/dry) )

mag 700 return pump for wet/dry $60

If your not interested in light hungery creatures then the stock florecent bulbs might be ok.

A double tube florecent fixture is going to be $80 but you will also have to buy the glass covers for the tank *many of us run our tanks open and uncovered.

Upgrading the lights to a power compact solution would give you more light. You could go with a single bulb power compact fixture for $130 or a double bulb fixture for $240.

Aside from the tank most of these prices are based on prices found at www.petwarehouse.com

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2003, 06:44 PM   #32
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
using the prices above

Low end $1093

Mid level $1200

high level $1423

Thats unstocked with fish. So depending on fish add another $50 or so to it.

Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
Old 08-22-2003, 10:32 PM   #33
ManderRN1

I am in the process of setting up a 30 gallon FOWLR tank (will eventually add some corals &/or inverts down the road- maybe in a year) and so far have gotten tank, stand, hood, filter, protein skimmer, powerhead, heater, & hydrometer for just under $300.00. I am moving next month, so I'm holding off on starting the tank, but when I do, I'll just need to get the sand ($35), 40 lbs of LR ($120-- $2.99/lb including shipping at liverocks.com), salt ($15), chemicals ($15), test kit ($23), & food ($7). I plan on starting with 2 clownfish ($7/ea), 1 jawfish ($14), 4 cleaner shrimp ($10/ea), 2 scarlet hermits ($3/ea), and 6 Bumble bee snails ($2/ea).

Grand Total = $603.00

I have a list I made of all my supplies/equipment I'll need, where I'm going to get it & prices (kind of my aquarium-planning budget!). If you e-mail me at vanlaa87 at uwosh.edu, I can e-mail it to you if you're interested. Hope this helps!

Good Luck & Don't let people scare you!

edited the email address so it would be less conspicuous to spammers and their bots.
Old 08-22-2003, 11:20 PM   #34
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Took me 20 Minutes to go through all this!!!!!

LOL

www.panhandlereefers.com

Join N. Florida Regional Forum
GrndHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2003, 12:09 AM   #35

Hope I am not starting war, but:

A Hippo Tang or Dory Fish as was it called, can be bought at a small size...The thing is, that after about 8 months or so, depending on the feeding habits, it could out grow the 55 gal, but you prolly will upgrade to a bigger size tank by then, once the bug sets in. If you don't upgrade, see if you can return it to the LFS for credit and get another...

If you decide to purchase one, make sure to get one that is 1.5 to 2 inches... I had an atlantic blue tang in my 55 and it was happy as I could tell.. It reached 4 inches before it passed on.... Tangs are fun, but they do require swimming room...

Oh yeah, Most would recommend no less than a 180 for tangs...
Old 08-23-2003, 08:47 AM   #36
Aquarium Advice Activist

Thanks for all your help guys! This was exactly what I needed!
Phil
Old 08-23-2003, 12:11 PM   #37
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
tank, stand, hood, filter, protein skimmer, powerhead, heater, & hydrometer for just under $300.00
Thats a great deal. Could you expand on how you where able to get all those items for only $300. Did you find someone who was getting out of the hobby? The LFS in my area had just the tank, stand and hood for $230.

Old 08-23-2003, 02:51 PM   #38
ManderRN1

I know the owner of my LFS very well, and she orders things for me from wholesale- for example, the tank, hood, and stand are all brand new from perfecto- She ordered them for me & I just paid the wholesale- $40 for the tank, $60 for the stamd, and about $20 for the hood.

Befriend your LFS owners!
Old 08-23-2003, 03:39 PM   #39
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to MACATUA Send a message via MSN to MACATUA Send a message via Yahoo to MACATUA
Not enough can be said for befriending the LFS. i have become good buddies aside from fish, and not only do I have a new friend, if I have anything come up he is there for me.

Example, last week about 8:30 at night I busted a lightbulb during maintenence. Well I would not be able to make it in for a few days, and also payday was still so far away.

But my bud down at the LFS let me come and pick up a bulb and even let me pay him on payday. That is why we should support LFS. I understand as well as anyone how I have to save money. But, what online megastore or supplier can be there for you when you have a problem and you need it solved now, no matter how small it may be?

Join the Alabama Regional Forum!
MACATUA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2003, 11:02 PM   #40
Aquarium Advice Regular

I TOTALY AGREE WITH THIS PERSON. I AM shure I HAVE dropped AT LEAST 2500$ AND I AM STILL NOT DOING SOMETHING RIGHT. SALT WATER TAKES TIME AND alot OF SPARE CASH. AND EXPECT TO MAKE A BUNCH OF MISTAKES( COSTLY ONES AT THAT)
MICHAEL

Tags
sw aquarium

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com