Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-09-2005, 10:49 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Were they eating when you put them in the tank? I got a clown when I first started from a lfs (Panhandle Pet Supply) and the fish was not eating. Everything else seemed fine. Then bam the fish was dead. I thought maybe it was eating when I was not looking. When I went to another lfs (Suncoast Aquarium) they told me what had happened.

If this is the problem, it could just be the supplier of the fish.

Old 03-09-2005, 10:54 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Lando, I said I added the fish one at a time. My post covers a period of several weeks with no success. NO3's have always been 0, as tested by three different people.

I can only surmise that I have a parasite I'm unaware of.

runway1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005, 11:43 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I may be wrong but I haven't heard of any parasite that will kill fish that quickly. As far as temp my tank swings 4-5 degrees from morning to night and I have had no problems with anything dying so I doubt that is it. Usually when a fish dies within a coulpe hours of introduction it is quite often acclimation. Test your lfs water and test yours if they are more than a little different you might want to drip acclimate your livestock. Listen to Lando he is a very experienced aquarist.
Old 03-09-2005, 04:04 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice FINatic

IMO 82 degrees is not that high. But the quick increase in temp could of added to the stress level of tang and just pushed it over.

If you got these fish from the same LFS you might want to try a different store.
klam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005, 04:08 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice FINatic

If you think it's a parasite you can go fishless in your tank for several months so the lifecycle of the parasites will starve and die.
klam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005, 10:19 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
NO3's have always been 0, as tested by three different people.
Are you sure? In a previous post you said NO3 was 30-40ppm. I do not think this is due to parasitic infestation as well. Honestly, I think you are just adding too many fish too fast in such a young tank. Add a fish and wait four or six weeks before adding another one. Take it slow and see if this helps your situation.
Old 03-10-2005, 11:12 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Lando sorry, I meant NO2's always 0. NO3's have been 30-40ppm as you noted.

Let me try to be more clear....the tank rarely has had more than ONE (1) fish in it. The list I post is over a period of weeks. The only time I've had more than a single fish was when I introduced three very small chromis. There's no way it's an overstocking problem unless....the previous death reacts as if the fish were still in the tank??
runway1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005, 11:21 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

Anything in the tank now? What inverts do you have? Can you list current water parameters like ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, SG, Temp, Ph. What type of water are you using to top-off for evaportation?
Old 03-10-2005, 11:40 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

along with SG and pH, how about alkalinity? calcium shouldn't matter much for fish, but a lack of alkalinity could cause stress and a very bouncy pH. add a 5 degree temp change and that could push a fish over.

And I think I missed where you told us the size of the tank?

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com