Could my anemone have eaten my clownfish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

stu

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi guys and gals.... :(

I awoke this morning to feed my fish only to be missing 1 clown fish. I know they were both there last night when i went to bed as i was watching them in the anemone...

I have 2 bubble tip anemone, small ones which are the result of a larger one that split about a month back. The clowns each pick one when the lights go out and pretty much just dont go out of it until morning. Being that one was missing i looked all through my sump, pulled everything out of there and ther ewas no sign of him, so i stripped my entire tank out, rock by rock and still not a single sign of it, not even the slightest sign of fleshy, dead fish anywhere...the only place it could possibly be is inside one of my anemones... The problem is they are pretty small and the closn is about 1.5-1.7cm long, is it possible for the anemone to completely swallow the fish whole with no sign at all of it?

Then my next question is that if that happened is it possible that the fish might have been sick for the anemone to be able to sting it? The reason i ask it my bi colour blenny died last week :( poor little fella. I checked my water paramaters and everything was around normal....the kh is a little low but only very minimal..... ??

Have you tried looking underneath your RBTA? They would sometimes wedge themselves under the Anemone instead of being were there suppose to be Especially being that small.... I went threw the same thing and did the same thing you did. Then out of nowhere he sticks his little head out and looks around like what the **** it going on out here....LOL.... I would try that HTH... (y)

Thanks for the reply, well my tank is only a small cube, 220 litres. He wasn't under the BTA. I completely removed every piece of rock out of the tank 1 by 1, and i put the other fish into my spare tank for now. So think of a 100% completely empty tank with half the gravel removed as well to make sure it wasn't under there....it's just gone.....gone gone. I removed everything out of my sump and not a sign of him at all. The ONLY place it could be is inside that anemone..... Surely it wouldn't be able to just gulp my poor clown fish and not spit out the bones even? There is no trace of this fish AT ALL :( My tank is a pretty simple clean setup so if there was fleshy bits of fish anywhere i would find them....

Poor fishy :(

Already looked everywhere....if he did jump he went a LONG way...

Back
Top Bottom