Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-16-2005, 07:28 PM   #11
steve-s

If the fish has been at treatment level for two weeks without improvement, there is either something wrong with your methodology or it's not C. irritans. You should have at the very least seen an improvemnet in activity and feeding response. The trophonts on the fish should have seen some releif after the first 7-10 days especially the highly visible ones prior to treatment.

What makes you believe the fish will not last ie.. symptoms? What are the QT water parameters (NH3/NO2NO3) including salinity and pH?

Cheers
Steve
Old 08-17-2005, 01:01 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak

Well, the spots disappeared but he never really wanted to eat anything after QT. Probably more due to stress than the ich. He was very skinny, his first two white lines were gray. When I left for work early this morning he was basically blowing around in the current of the tank breathing very quickly, then would all of a sudden start swimming, then stop and blow in the current.

I just couldn't keep the QT water parameters reasonable. I've been working crazy long hours lately and just could not keep up with daily water changes to keep the ammo low. There's no doubt in my mind that it was my inability to QT correctly that eventually led to the heni's death. It was just really bad timing.

Although I learned a lesson here - my QT tank was cracked so I didn't bother QT this one fish out of the 5 so far that I have. I'll never introduce a fish without QT again - I don't care how long I have to wait.

Thanks all.

Old 08-17-2005, 04:40 PM   #13
steve-s

The biggest concern with any QT situation will most commonly be nitrogens, treatment depending. Under better circumstances I am quite sure things would be on a more possitive note. There is still a good chance the fish may yet recover albeit slowly if you can improve on the living conditions. Stress, whether that be from outside influences or the water itself can often play a role in feeding problems. The hypo will actually help with that but ammonia must be dealt with first but as you already know, water changes is the main solution. Be sure as well you are checking pH/alk daily. These will play a major role in your success as well. You should also try to keep the lights off and the room dim as much as possible. This will also help reduce some addtional stress.

As far as your current fish, you can play "wait and see" monitoring for new outbreaks if any. There is a reasonabley high chance though if you forgo the treatment of all the fish and proper fallow time for the main that any new fish aquisitions will spur on a new infestation even if the new fish were properly QT'd first. Depending on the time frame, it's more than possible for the current stock to go month living in "unison" if you will with the pest. Very little stress or the upset of the community is needed for that to change.

Cheers
Steve
Old 08-19-2005, 05:10 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

If ich is in your main it is in your main, I'm afraid. I have a purple tang that I treated with hypo. He did really well (sorry your Heni isn't doing so well) and at the end of 8 long weeks he moved to the main. Once in the main he got ich again, which had obviously been in my main for the 5 months prior without my knowledge. I started feeding garlic and selcon and haven't seen any ich on any of my fish since (he was the only one that was ever symptomatic to begin with). That was about 3 months ago. So I know that the right conditions may bring about an outbreak and if that happens I'll treat the tank then.

What about the hypo wasn't successful? Did it not rid him of the ich? Did he not handle the lowered salinity well? Did you use a refractometer? Constantly monitor the PH and Alk? How is he doing today?

Join the NJ Reef Club Today! Saving the world's reefs one living room at a time!
MACNA XXI Atlantic City, NJ September 25-27, 2009
Phyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2005, 07:33 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Freak

Thanks for the help. I believe it was my inablity to keep up with water params, and my ammo was pretty high. He just stopped eating, got really thin, and died a few days ago. If the QT had happened a month ago or a month later, I would have been available to do daily water changes and I'm sure the results would have been different. As I said before, it was just bad timing and I wasn't able to QT correctly.

As it is - I'm out of town again for about a week, so if one of my other fish shows symptoms in the next week I'm in trouble.

I'm just gonna have to get through the next week and then I'll hypo all the fish when I'll be able to do it properly and leave the main empty to rid the ich.

- Skins

Tags
ich

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com