Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-31-2005, 07:19 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Could this be ich?

My new Heni has been swimming strangely today. I noticed two white spots on one of his black bars. They aren't bright white, and they are not round so I'm not sure if this could be ich.

He's been eating fine he hasn't been scratching against rocks or sand. My other fish are yellow tang, 2 clowns, and a yellow watchman goby. They all seem fine right now. Exactly what would the white ich spots look like? Would they be bright white? Round or just look like dull blemishes? Also, if it turns out to be ich, do I need to QT ALL my fish even if he's the only one showing signs, or just the heni?

Here's a pic - not great, but he wouldn't hold still long enough for me to snap a good one off. The top blemish is much more noticable than in this picture. I think its being slightly covered by his fin.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ichpic.jpg (10.9 KB, 636 views)

Old 08-01-2005, 05:16 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to StripesTheEel
A little blurry, may be ich.. the scratching gives me the feeling it may be.. as long as it is eating that is a good thing.. when they stop eating u know they are in trouble..

Quote:
Also, if it turns out to be ich, do I need to QT ALL my fish even if he's the only one showing signs, or just the heni?
yes, although none are infected they have all been exposed to the parasite..

StripesTheEel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 02:50 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

So, do I just play it cool and hope for the best until more symptoms pop up or more white spots show themselves?
Old 08-01-2005, 11:58 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

i'd qt immediately..and monitor
Old 08-02-2005, 09:40 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

qt is the rule of the day
Old 08-04-2005, 12:43 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular

i have a heni that i though had ich but really it was just the way the light was hitting off a few of his black scales i would watch him for a few days and your other fish and if anything else appears on him or on your other fish QT them.
Old 08-04-2005, 05:11 PM   #7
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Need more conclusive evidence

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2005, 12:28 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

Well, he STILL hasn't been scratching. He goes after food like its his last meal and he's NOT breathing heavy, he's not behaving any differently - but still has some tiny white spots on him. So, I removed him and QT him. I've been floating two large sponge filters at the top of the tank for about 6 days and they are now in my 20 gallon QT tank in a hang on back filter along with a 5lb rock from my main tank. Hopefully that will be enough to handle his bioload. I'm not sure. I'll just have to watch the ammonia over the next couple days and stay on top of it.

Now, my other tankmates seem fine at the moment - yellow tang, 2 clowns, and a watchman goby. But, I'm assuming if it IS ich that they will all eventually get it and I should QT them as well? The watchman is gonna be a pain to catch with all my rock work and I'm afraid my little 20 gallon won't be able to handle the bioload. I guess I just do daily water changes?

Could this maybe NOT be ich and perhaps its something else? The only symptom he has are the spots.
Old 08-06-2005, 03:47 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

if it is ich you will need to QT all..

i'd just monitor your other fish for symptoms..

i had tomato clowns that i thought had ich..but it seemed to be little oxygen bubbles under their scales..
Old 08-16-2005, 01:23 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

So, its been over 2 weeks. My Heni definitely had ich. I did remove him and have been treating with hypo in my 20 gal QT, but it wasn't very successful. I don't expect him to get through the day, unfortunately.

Anyway, I didn't QT the rest of my fish - just kept an eye on them and haven't seen ANY signs of ich in my other fish. Should I still QT the rest of my fish and leave the main tank empty for a 6-8 weeks? If not, at what point if my remaining fish stay symptom free could I assume the ich is gone without removing them - or is the only cure to keep the tank fish free?

I'm grabbing Kick Ich today - I know people have had mixed results but its better than nothing.

- Skins

Tags
ich

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com