Cow fish with ich.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RubixCube

Aquarium Advice Activist
A friend of mine has a cow fish that has just developed ich. She has no treatment chemicals. What can she do? I suggested to her to remove the cow fish from the tank and put it in a little tank that she has until tomorrow. I told her to put the cow fish in the small tank, then put the cover on it (there are some holes for air/water circulation) and put the small thank in the large tank. No heater for the small tank. Is this about all she can do?

i see. Is there a better guide to refer to besides the one attatched? Just something a little more simple? It says about using a refractometer to measure the salt content... i dont know about you, but i dont have one. I have a sea-test hydrometer. Should that be acturate enough?

Just something a little more simple? It says about using a refractometer to measure the salt content... i dont know about you, but i dont have one. I have a sea-test hydrometer. Should that be acturate enough?

I don't know of any "simpler" guides, but I think a hydrometer would be accurate enough, yes.

Plastic swing arm type hydrometers are not accurate enough. You can use a LARGE lab grade glass floating hydrometer. Go by salinity rather than SG and keep it at 14ppt. Check the pH daily and add a buffer as needed during treatment. If you do NOT have inverts or live rock in your display then you can use hypo right in the main tank.
Terry B

Back
Top Bottom