Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-22-2003, 06:30 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via ICQ to Gauge Send a message via Yahoo to Gauge
And another question...

I've always wondered about this, and now is a little late to ask, but oh well. My arrow crab used to sort of "unhinge" his outer shell near his anus, and he would sort of pick at himself with his pincers. Is this normal? What is (*ahem* was) he doing?

92-gallon corner tank, 100lbs of LR, 140lbs of sand, 250watt 10,000K MH, 110watts of actinic PCs, Mag 7 return, custom refugium, AquaC EV180 w/ Mag 5

Female lyretail anthias, eyelash blenny, tomato clown, saddleback clown, firefish goby, 2 sand-sifting stars
Gauge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2003, 06:31 PM   #12
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Hara
sounds like undisolved salt..

Old 07-22-2003, 06:37 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Well, it didn't quite look like that. It was a bit too bright white to be salt, I think. I could be wrong, though. How could be undisolved after 3 days, though?

92-gallon corner tank, 100lbs of LR, 140lbs of sand, 250watt 10,000K MH, 110watts of actinic PCs, Mag 7 return, custom refugium, AquaC EV180 w/ Mag 5

Female lyretail anthias, eyelash blenny, tomato clown, saddleback clown, firefish goby, 2 sand-sifting stars
Old 07-22-2003, 07:50 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I'm home now. I just looked at the tank, and the corals aren't terribly happy. They're open and not "snotting," but they're not open all the way. That white junk settled all over the rock. I swirled my hand around over it a bit and stirred it up again. It's definitely not salt. At the very least it's salt that's disolved, dried, and then disolved again, because it's not in granular shape. They look like really small flakes of some kind.

Old 07-22-2003, 07:53 PM   #15
steve-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gauge
What is calcium carbonate precipitate, what causes its presence in water, and what does it do to your tank inhabitants?
In most cases it just makes a mess and will often affect the operating efficiency of pumps and other moving equipment that give off heat. It shouldn't really harm anything else unless the precipitate was very heavy.

Precipitate is basically when the calcium in the water reach's too high a concentration and literally falls out of solution almost like snowing. By the sounds of the reply post I am wondering if it might not just be the salt mix or preparation instead.

Quote:
The corals all "snotted" for a few minutes, but they stopped and are open and normal looking. All the other crabs are accounted for and okay with the exception of an emerald crab who's always hard to find. I have a Red Bali Sea Star who has some snot-looking material on him, and I'm not sure what that means, but otherwise he is acting normal.
With such a large water change the corals (which I didn't know you had) are showing distress to such a drastic change in their environment. If will usually be short lived unless something is askew. The "slime" hanging on the start is most likely a string of nematocysts a coral may have cast off. If there is no other discoloration or sign of necrosis, it should be fine.

What types of corals are in the tank and how long have you had them?

Cheers
Steve
Old 07-22-2003, 08:30 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I picked up the red bali star and cleaned him off. He's just fine. I think the slime stuff was from a coral like you said. That white stuff still hasn't disolved into the water. The salinity in the tank is 1.021 or thereabouts. Is there any way it could *still* be undisolved salt? It certainly doesn't look like it. Very opaque white, it's flakey, it's light (doesn't sink quickly at all).

As far as me not mentioning the corals, it's because I don't really care about them. They just came on the rock as a kind of free bonus. I use them to gauge how well things are doing in the tank (at the recommendation of others), but other than that, they don't concern me in the least. Everything seems to be back to normal. I believe my arrow crab was having a bad time before this anyway. He was getting sluggish. He stopped picking food off the substrate and spent most of his time hunkered down between a couple of rocks. This was probably just the proverbial straw that broke the camel's back. I wouldn't really know, but that's my theory anyway.

Thank you all for your help. I really appreciate it. If you have any more information on the white stuff, I'd love to hear it.

Old 07-22-2003, 09:51 PM   #17
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
The salinity in the tank is 1.021 or thereabouts.
That salinity is not going to cut it for invertebrates and/or corals. You want at least 1.024 - 1.025 is better. But raise it slowly - gradually, over the course of a couple weeks.

Quote:
As far as me not mentioning the corals, it's because I don't really care about them.
ReefLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2003, 10:02 PM   #18
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Hara
Quote:

As far as me not mentioning the corals, it's because I don't really care about them.
Thats a horrid thing to say and I, for one, cannot abide to help someone with so little disregard for life. Lucky for you, there are other people here that will help you.
Old 07-22-2003, 10:43 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Saying that I don't care about them doesn't mean "Hey, let's kill them." It means I didn't buy them intentionally. The focus of the tank is the fish, not the corals. I'm sorry if you took it that way.

Old 07-22-2003, 11:18 PM   #20
AA Team Emeritus

Something you got to understand, saying you don't care about living corals in your tank here, is like going to a dog board and saying you don't swerve to miss a stray dog, simply cause it wasn't your dog. I can understand the focus of the tank is the fish, but if you have some animals in the tank, you should strive to provide a proper environment. Frankly, I've gotten the impression that fish are a disposable pet, in your eyes. You will find that that attitude is not real popular amoung most hobbyists these days. I hope you get the problems with your tank solved, I for one will continue to try to help you, but I think everyone needs to take a step back and take a few breaths right now.

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
crab, strange

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com