Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-22-2003, 03:13 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via ICQ to Gauge Send a message via Yahoo to Gauge
Crab acting strange

I have an arrow crab, and he is laying down on his side with this legs kind of curled up in a ball. I've never seen them molting, but I've also never seen one dead. Which do you think is the case?

92-gallon corner tank, 100lbs of LR, 140lbs of sand, 250watt 10,000K MH, 110watts of actinic PCs, Mag 7 return, custom refugium, AquaC EV180 w/ Mag 5

Female lyretail anthias, eyelash blenny, tomato clown, saddleback clown, firefish goby, 2 sand-sifting stars
Gauge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2003, 03:24 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Just FYI, I'm not at home looking at him. My wife described what he looks like. Apparently he's still moving, but he's not getting up. She's sending me a picture, and I'll post it as soon as I get it.

92-gallon corner tank, 100lbs of LR, 140lbs of sand, 250watt 10,000K MH, 110watts of actinic PCs, Mag 7 return, custom refugium, AquaC EV180 w/ Mag 5

Female lyretail anthias, eyelash blenny, tomato clown, saddleback clown, firefish goby, 2 sand-sifting stars
Old 07-22-2003, 03:27 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Here is the picture... hopefully it'll upload. I usually have trouble with it.

Old 07-22-2003, 03:56 PM   #4
steve-s

This is since all the drastic changes you described yesterday, correct?

Most likley one or more of these changes has upset the balance or introduced a contaminant. I would suggest running through the normal tests when you get home and if nothing "odd" shows up do a 10-15% water change and run some carbon to remove any "unseen" chemicals. I would also suggest a water conditioner added (normal amounts) to the tank to neutralize any possible metals or other contaminates.

I would also still highly recommend that you reconsider returning the inverts until you have everything under control...

Cheers
Steve
Old 07-22-2003, 04:04 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Well, I did all those changes last night, and everything seemed fine. I did about 19 out of the 20 gallons of water change. I had a gallon left over which I kept in the same container last night because my filter holds about that much. When I put the filter back on I put the last bit of water in, and 10 minutes later this happened. I thought I'd done quite enough to get the bleach out of the filter (I assume you read that part already in my other thread), but maybe the water caused it. Still, 1 gallon in a 42 gallon tank when the only possible differences between last night and today as far as the change water is concerned is temp and PH.

I don't have anything to put the inverts in at the moment. My QT tank was taken down.

Old 07-22-2003, 04:19 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Oh, and couple other things...

First, I already have a bag of carbon in there. I thought it would be a good idea since I'm trying to start the tank from scratch anyhow. Plus, after using that bleach, there's no telling.

Second, what is a water conditioner? Never heard of such a thing, or used it. The water *should* be clean. It's RO water, after all, and was mixed in a freshly bought rubbermaid container in which I haven't had anything else.

Old 07-22-2003, 04:40 PM   #7
steve-s

A water conditioner is used to neutralize chlorine, chloramine and some help with toxic metals. If one of these was not used to counteract the bleach, then it has most likely leached into the tank when the filter was placed back on.

Changing 50% af the water can be a concern if proper temp, salinity and PH where not exactly matched. Inverts are increadibley sensitive to these kinds of changes. Adverse effects may not be immediately appearant but can cause the problem(s) you describe.

I would still recommend running the tests when you get home.

Cheers
Steve
Old 07-22-2003, 06:00 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

There were a few cups worth of water left, and I went home earlier. I noticed a couple things about the water. First of all, the PH was about 0.3 lower than the tank water. I flat forgot about that part. The other part was that there were white specks floating in it. Now, last night when I changed the bulk of the water, my tank looked like a snow globe. I was wondering why the "sand" (which I assume it wasn't) wouldn't sink quicker than that. I didn't think much more of it, but today the same thing happened when I put a gallon of water in. I still wasn't sure it was the change water. When I did the PH test I saw the junk floating in the water. Any idea what that could be? I'm sure the container was clean. I'd just bought it, and it was sitting upside down on the shelf.

Old 07-22-2003, 06:12 PM   #9
steve-s

The only thing that comes to mind by your description is calcium carbonate precipitate.

Was anything added to the RO water when you where preparing the water change other than saltmix?

Cheers
Steve
Old 07-22-2003, 06:20 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Nope, just synthetic sea salt, and that's all. Just poured it in, threw a PH in the tub and was done with it. Other than that, the only thing that should have gone in was dust settling on the surface of the water or something.

What is calcium carbonate precipitate, what causes its presence in water, and what does it do to your tank inhabitants?

Oh, and small update on the crisis... the crab is dead (or close enough to count as dead). The corals all "snotted" for a few minutes, but they stopped and are open and normal looking. All the other crabs are accounted for and okay with the exception of an emerald crab who's always hard to find. I have a Red Bali Sea Star who has some snot-looking material on him, and I'm not sure what that means, but otherwise he is acting normal.

Tags
crab, strange

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com