Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 05-06-2014, 01:47 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie
crab shell changes

Hi everyone, I'm new to the forum and new to saltwater tanks. I just added a cleaning crew 2 weeks ago and I've noticed that the crab shells have been loosing their color and turing a lighter color around the tips. It started a week ago. All my water parameters are within normal limits including Ca. Anyone have an ideas what it could be? Thank you for your input.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20140505_153612.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	246.1 KB
ID:	236275   Click image for larger version

Name:	20140505_153620.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	255.6 KB
ID:	236276  

anikamal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 07:07 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
Well, although I'm on my fine in the sun and pics are hard to see, I'd say those are dead snail shells. See as how they're new in your tank, there is undoubtedly different lighting and chemical balances between what you hot and where they came from.
Just make sure you have an ample supply of new dead shells for when the hermits want to move to a new house, or grow a bit

Ingy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 07:10 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award
Hermit Crabs don't grow their own shells. They just pick them up and use them. The loss of color is from coraline dying most likely or less amounts of calcium and the shell is deteriorating
20 Gallon SPS reef
29 Gallon FW "fat catfish" tank
20 Gallon Long Dart Frogs "Zig" and "Zag"
bribo12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 08:17 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Newbie
that's a good idea, i'll try placing new shells in the tank. I've been dosing with calcium and levels around 420 but I didn't consider coralline algae - I'll try some purple up. thanks!
anikamal is offline   Reply With Quote

change, crab

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com