crab shell changes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

anikamal

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi everyone, I'm new to the forum and new to saltwater tanks. I just added a cleaning crew 2 weeks ago and I've noticed that the crab shells have been loosing their color and turing a lighter color around the tips. It started a week ago. All my water parameters are within normal limits including Ca. Anyone have an ideas what it could be? Thank you for your input.

Attachments

• 20140505_153612.jpg
    20140505_153612.jpg
    246.1 KB · Views: 109
  • 20140505_153620.jpg
    20140505_153620.jpg
    255.6 KB · Views: 82
Well, although I'm on my fine in the sun and pics are hard to see, I'd say those are dead snail shells. See as how they're new in your tank, there is undoubtedly different lighting and chemical balances between what you hot and where they came from.
Just make sure you have an ample supply of new dead shells for when the hermits want to move to a new house, or grow a bit

Hermit Crabs don't grow their own shells. They just pick them up and use them. The loss of color is from coraline dying most likely or less amounts of calcium and the shell is deteriorating

that's a good idea, i'll try placing new shells in the tank. I've been dosing with calcium and levels around 420 but I didn't consider coralline algae - I'll try some purple up. thanks!

Back
Top Bottom