Crabs and shrimp dying

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Danielbdn

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have had a Sally Lightfoot Crab, Emerald Crab, & Peppermint Shrimp all die not at the same time. The first crab I bought was the Sally it lasted a few weeks then about a month later I found an Emerald crab in the tank he lived about a week. The peppermint lasted a few months. I noticed long tentacles coming out of a rock (only at night) and wondered if this could be killing them. My water parameters are good the fish and coral and hermits are all doing fine.

Danielbdn said:
I have had a Sally Lightfoot Crab, Emerald Crab, & Peppermint Shrimp all die not at the same time. The first crab I bought was the Sally it lasted a few weeks then about a month later I found an Emerald crab in the tank he lived about a week. The peppermint lasted a few months. I noticed long tentacles coming out of a rock (only at night) and wondered if this could be killing them. My water parameters are good the fish and coral and hermits are all doing fine.

When you say tentacles, do you mean like the arms of a brittle star, or do you mean like antennae on something living under a rock? Ever hear any popping sounds coming from tank?

No I haven't heard any popping sounds. The best i can describe what comes out of the rock is like a white/pinkish worm looking thing that stretches out 4-6 inches out of small holes on the bottom side of a rock. When I shine a light on them they retract back into the rock.

Danielbdn said:
No I haven't heard any popping sounds. The best i can describe what comes out of the rock is like a white/pinkish worm looking thing that stretches out 4-6 inches out of small holes on the bottom side of a rock. When I shine a light on them they retract back into the rock.

That's probably a bristle worm and not a killer. There's some other reason their dying.

Back
Top Bottom