Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-10-2011, 08:22 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

crabs missing

hi all not sure if this is in the right section but anyway. i have around 20 hermits in my tank and i used to always see them and when i fed the tank they used to go mental comming out from everywhere. now i cant see them i see the odd one every now and then does anyone know why this could be. i have a pair of clowns a mandarin and a strawberry baslet sulphur goby also i have some zoas xenia and a leather toadstool and they are all ok

Old 10-10-2011, 09:41 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Well it could be when they molted they were eaten. It could be hermit crab war over shells. What is your water parameters like?

Old 10-10-2011, 10:00 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

my water is fine.. but what would have eaten them and it they were fighting over shells id see some cutting about but there is nothing
Old 10-14-2011, 08:37 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

can anyone help me please what could have happened to my crabs. iv seen a few about. what may have eaten my crabs
Old 10-14-2011, 10:49 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

A crab will actually eat another crab if it is dead. Other things are worms like bristle worms ONLY after it is dead, fish or even some snails. Seeing a naked hermit crab is rather disturbing my friend saw a crab fight over a shell the looser was in the corner, he actually had to put a shell near it so it could crawl in it. It was probably the shell that the other crab had left.
Old 10-14-2011, 12:14 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

so the other crabs would have eaten them then. i have a common clown a mandarin a srtawberry baslet and a valantini puffer. would any of them eaten the molting crabs
Old 10-14-2011, 01:22 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Many things could have happened like Joy said. Crabs fight over shells. Also, they could have starved to death. How big is the tank and how many crabs do you have? Joy laid it out there with some accurate info.
Old 10-14-2011, 02:47 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Puffer eat crabs Saltwater Aquarium Fish for Marine Aquariums: Saddle Valentini Puffer you will have to make a choice now which one you want. Also usually when something is considered on their diet it is an important part of their diet.
Old 10-14-2011, 03:01 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

na not starved there is plenty of food. its a 35g tanjk and i had 18 hermits
Old 10-14-2011, 03:48 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by joy13
Puffer eat crabs Saltwater Aquarium Fish for Marine Aquariums: Saddle Valentini Puffer you will have to make a choice now which one you want. Also usually when something is considered on their diet it is an important part of their diet.
+1 on this. Puffers in my experience are also pretty smart and persistent. I bet he's been picking them off.

Tags
crab, crabs, missing

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com