crabs missing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

craig_will2513

Aquarium Advice Freak
hi all not sure if this is in the right section but anyway. i have around 20 hermits in my tank and i used to always see them and when i fed the tank they used to go mental comming out from everywhere. now i cant see them i see the odd one every now and then does anyone know why this could be. i have a pair of clowns a mandarin and a strawberry baslet sulphur goby also i have some zoas xenia and a leather toadstool and they are all ok

Well it could be when they molted they were eaten. It could be hermit crab war over shells. What is your water parameters like?

A crab will actually eat another crab if it is dead. Other things are worms like bristle worms ONLY after it is dead, fish or even some snails. Seeing a naked hermit crab is rather disturbing my friend saw a crab fight over a shell the looser was in the corner, he actually had to put a shell near it so it could crawl in it. It was probably the shell that the other crab had left.

so the other crabs would have eaten them then. i have a common clown a mandarin a srtawberry baslet and a valantini puffer. would any of them eaten the molting crabs

Many things could have happened like Joy said. Crabs fight over shells. Also, they could have starved to death. How big is the tank and how many crabs do you have? Joy laid it out there with some accurate info.

Back
Top Bottom