Crazy bubble stuff?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gboy66

Aquarium Advice Addict
Thats the best way i can explain this stuff on my torch coral. How do i get it off and is it bad?

Wow that dosent look good nor can I say I have ever seen it before. Sorry dude don't know what to tell ya. :(

Ya, I don't know Grant, almost looks like gas bubbles coming off of Cyano? Whatever it is, the Torch doesn't look good...good luck with it man.

Flreefer said:
Ya, I don't know Grant, almost looks like gas bubbles coming off of Cyano? Whatever it is, the Torch doesn't look good...good luck with it man.

Darn! Im scared for it man. Should i...pluck them off?? Pop them??

Edit: i think youre right Toby..i think there is a little cyano on decaying parts of the coral (bought it with 1 head and an empty head) and that is causing the bubbles. I just put it in more flow for a second and all the bubbles are gone. Still...weird..

I think some of it is dying off, from your temperature spike. I would try to gently blow off what's dying with a turkey baster, to get it out of there. This way, whatever isnt dead, you can still see some polyps, might have a chance of recovering, not being surrounded by decay.

Flreefer said:
I think some of it is dying off, from your temperature spike. I would try to gently blow off what's dying with a turkey baster, to get it out of there. This way, whatever isnt dead, you can still see some polyps, might have a chance of recovering, not being surrounded by decay.

You know, i did think that, but it was open and perfect just an hour before! My theory is that it just made a few more bubbles and started choking the coral out...and yeah, i did do that! Put it in some flow and the dead parts flew off. None from the living heads, but from the dead one:) thanks man

I'd actually try to gently suck it out with either a small siphon (airline) or the turkey baster. if it is decaying, blowing it around the tank could spread the bacteria. It alos could be cyanobacteria or dinoflagellates, which you'd want to get out regardless.

Rutrag said:
I'd actually try to gently suck it out with either a small siphon (airline) or the turkey baster. if it is decaying, blowing it around the tank could spread the bacteria. It alos could be cyanobacteria or dinoflagellates, which you'd want to get out regardless.

I agree with not blowing it around the tank, but if trying to such it off the coral with a siphon, you are probably going to suck up some of the good part, causing more damage to it. I guess the best of both worlds would be to blow it off gently and siphon out whatever comes off.
If you look further down the thread, you will see that we already discussed that it looks like Cyano.

Back
Top Bottom