Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-04-2013, 11:53 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Cromises being chased by clown

Lately my female clown fish has Been chasing my 3 new chromises around and there a bits of tail fin missing on each. One got a injury and is missing a few scales back by his tail. What I would like to know is this normal for femal clowns to do this to new fish and if so how long does it last for

Old 04-05-2013, 09:29 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kfishfan View Post
Lately my female clown fish has Been chasing my 3 new chromises around and there a bits of tail fin missing on each. One got a injury and is missing a few scales back by his tail. What I would like to know is this normal for femal clowns to do this to new fish and if so how long does it last for
Oh boy is it common. And unfortunately from my experience (Maroon Clown) it doesn't end. Once the female clown has dominance established in an area (which is the nem, if you have one) and surrounding area.. All intruding fish will be bullied and chased..

I got to a point where I had no choice but to remove my female Maroon Clown because of the bullying, we had her 3 years, was the 3rd fish we got and any fish placed in the tank after her have/had been bullied, nipped or chased, plus my wife's favorite fish a purple dottyback wouldn't even come out, it would just hide in the live rock and only come out to feed.

Once I removed her from the tank, I got a new clown and placed it in the tank and there is much more harmony in the tank, the dottyback is even out swimming around. Clowns (more specifically Maroons) should actually be one of the last fish placed in the tank from my experience...

Frank

Old 04-05-2013, 05:33 PM   #3

The fighting is starting to stop I only have a ocellaris male and female clowns wich were tank bread the fighting between the 2 lasted for a week then stopped . She did the same to my old fish but it eventually stopped . So is the dominance attacking get less violent after the the other fish give in.
Old 04-05-2013, 05:45 PM   #4

Oh another thing how long does it take for small tail pieces to grow back and scales as well.
Old 04-06-2013, 12:43 AM   #5

I just checked on them and the Harding has slowed down, but I was also chasing her with the net to show her how it felt to be chased and it seems to work.
Old 04-08-2013, 12:09 AM   #6

I have a update on this , the fighting has stopped but there is the coastal chase.

Tags
clown

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com