Cross Contamination

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Krypt

Aquarium Advice FINatic
About a month ago, I finished treating my brothers puffer for ich using hypo in my own QT. While I was treating him, I would use the same hoses for water changes on the QT that I use for water change on my DT.

Is it possible that I could have introduced ich into my DT by using the same hoses? The reason I'm asking is I just lost my chocolate tang from an ich infection and I don't know where the ich could have come from. I have QT'd every new addition and hypo'd them for 4 weeks prior to introduction into the DT.

This now means I have to treat ALL my fish for ich, but I wanted to know about the cross contamination before I went out and got all new hoses for my DT water changes and servicing.

It's quite possible. How long between a PWC in the QT and DT?

I used different hoses when I had to QT for Ich, but I have not used different hose when I QT new aquisitions. Now I will!

It's quite possible. How long between a PWC in the QT and DT?

I used different hoses when I had to QT for Ich, but I have not used different hose when I QT new aquisitions. Now I will!

I was doing daily pwc's on the QT to keep the ammonia in check and I do weekly on my DT so there were a couple times when the hose was used on the DT immediately after doing the pwc on the QT.

Well that hose still had some water from the QT in it so it is possible. It doesn't take much.

Sorry for the pain you are about to go through, but I'm adding this as a cautionary tale for the future. It might eeven make it as a note in my RULES list <g>.

I agree that you can definitely transfer disease that way, but at least you solved your own problem. Always keep quarantine products away from your primary aquariums and remember to bleach after use (except nets).

Yes I totally agree. It's one of those lessons hard learned. Keep things separate as much as possible to avoid any contact with disease fish.

This was definitely a hard lesson learned for me. I lost my bi-color pseudochromis today. He had ich bad, tried a FW dip and introduced him to the QT tank. Found him dead an hour later. At least I managed to save my flame hawk, clown, and damsel. They are all safely in the QT beginning their 4-6 week stint of hypo and all look healthy and are eating. From now on, separate hoses and water change gear will be a must.

Lets say that losing your bi-color is a blessing in discuse. The are so territorieal that the one I have will not let me introduce any new fish to my 85g . So I have to live with 6 fish and wait until the bi-color dies.

man krypt, you always have something painful going on with your tank, i remember in the begining of this year you had a issue. Im really sorry to hear all these problems. Better luck soon dude

It's definitely has been an interesting year lol. It seemed like one step forward and two steps back sometimes but I'm finally almost through my rookie year and my tank just keeps getting better and better. The ich out break had a silver lining in that I learned more and it gave me a chance to re-aquascape my tank. The future looks promising :tie:

Back
Top Bottom