Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 01-27-2004, 01:23 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular
Crypto or C. irritans life cycle

I've purchased two books on marine fish diseases and they answer every question except How long the parasite's life cycle is? I read the adults need to find a host within 24 hours but how long until the last egg hatches and dies? I have two damsels in my display tank who have shown no signs of crypto ever...should I treat them even though they don't show signs? I'm doing daily water changes on the hospital and its wearing me out.
Here was my treatment for the ill fish. I have my fish set up in a 29 gal hospital tank. I gave them a ten minute fresh water dip with malachite green on day one and now they are set up in the tank with copper/malachite green combination. It is day three and all visible parasites are gone and everyone seems back to normal behaviors. The books said to treat for 10 days with copper alone...malachite says three days...and no written work on how many days with a fw dip. Also does anyone know if crypto can be free floating and survive in my display tank or on damsels without symptoms?

Xenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2004, 07:24 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus
How long the parasite's life cycle is?
The life cycle of the parasite is temperature dependant, colder = slower and warmer = faster. The cycle for cryptocarryon through all stages of it's life cycle is approx 8 days @ 80*F (I think ).

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote

cycle, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com