Cup coral

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gleach

Aquarium Advice FINatic
My cup coral seems to be coloring up as my acro have died out and continue to suffer rtn. I have good continued growth with all other corals. I have noticed this cup coral to be coloring up a bit more. I did neglect my carbon, purigen and gfo for about a month cause my pump impeller went bad but after replacing and recharging my media all I have noticed is a small difference in water clarity and color of coral.

My question is based off of my cup coral? If a cup coral is healthy but seems to be a bit brown what is the cause. Also acro have pretty much just died although, I did cut all the dead one off the frag and re glue the healthy peace back it has now suffered rtn. I feel I may be underestimating how carfull I need to handle acro as to not cause them to slime. My parameters seem to be in point as far as alk and cal are concerned. Is it a possible phosphate issue and if so what let is recomended?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Browning out and rtn/sync issues Canberra caused by elevated po4 and nitrate levels. What are they currently at in your system?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

0 nitrate p04 I have not tested ever but I do have my high capacity gfo up and running now. I just notice all of my coral grows but seems to not be as colorfull as the day I added it?

I have upped my water changes and that made an enormous difference in algea growth. Still coral seems to be gaining color but slowly. I guess I'm trying to pinpoint my issue and find a solution to help bring the color in faster? Maybe there is a suplement or a suggest nutrient export technique I'm not using?

If you have algae growth it sounds like a nutrient issue, phosphate levels are probably a little high. Coral will still grow with "dirty" water, but coloration is usually first to go

No I was saying my algea is down now. I didn't do a water change for 3 weeks and my media reactors were down at the same time. I was also feeding the tank every day. U had 0 algea growth but coloration is on its way back after getting my carbon, gfo and purigen going again. Before the reactors stopped working the corals where doing the same. I'm just looking to speed up the coloration process and pinpoint the flaw in coloration

Either way, all of what you are describing is a nutrient issue in the water column. Browned corals are from excess nutrients and very sensitive corals won't do well in these conditions like acros. Neglect on the media you run in the tank is the most likely cause as you described.
That said, even a sudden drop in nitrates and phosphates can be just as harmful to corals. I had an issue in my system and brought them down too fast...it caused most of my frags to die where the larger colonies didn't notice...but a costly mistake.

How do you slow down the export process with media? Also would you do a biweekly gfo change out with high capacity gfo if you shocked the tank already by exporting the nutrients to fast? Just for one biweekly change out then switch to monthly just to be sure the levels are low and your not going to shock it again?

Use small amounts of media and gradually go up as it is used up. Phosguard will give you instructions on how to do it on the bottle.
It isn't about changing it out, it is about the amount used to absorb the elements. A teaspoon of product will absorb much less than a cup of it.

Use small amounts of media and gradually go up as it is used up. Phosguard will give you instructions on how to do it on the bottle.
It isn't about changing it out, it is about the amount used to absorb the elements. A teaspoon of product will absorb much less than a cup of it.

For po4 levels you want something in the range of .03-.07 ppm

What is the ultimate goal?

This is the goal. This started out the size of a quarter and when I took this picture it is bigger than a dinner plate. Let`s see a picture of yours. They are very hardy corals and hard to kill IME.

6218-albums4401-picture30818.jpg

My cup

Attachments

• 1439602080602.jpg
    1439602080602.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 77
It should have more polyp extension. I`d worry about that more than the coloring. Try more frequent PWC`s.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom