Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-28-2004, 05:08 PM   #11
steve-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop
Wha't a polyfilter? Is that the blue filter minuse the carbon? If so, I still have that in to catch particals and waist.
A >>polyfilter<< is a sorbing fiberous material used much the same way as carbon. It is not the blue/white filter sleeves you are refering to. I just wanted to be sure.

Quote:
as stated above I used the test chemical that came with the kit to make sure that the kit was reading correctly. The test kit did pick up a the trace of copper in the test sample that came with the kit
I would still test a sample of RO water with the appropriate dose of Cupramine just to be sure. The sample regent supplied could be misleading and the kit still be faulty. I have had that issue before with their iodine kit.

The only other recommendation would be as I said before, e-mail Seachem with the lot numbers for both products and explain your difficulties. Could be one or both are faulty. In any event, your fish needs treating obviously so I wouldn't wait on acting too much longer. When e-mailing Seachem, also tell them you need to replace the Cupramine ASAP and would like a credit. Most times they will send you replacement product without any hassles but in situations like thes, time is precious.

Are you using either a UV or ozonator?

Cheers
Steve
Old 10-29-2004, 10:49 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Activist

I'll email them today. Not using a UV or Ozonator.

Old 10-30-2004, 05:33 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Activist

They have not returned my email. Does Cupramine cause false readings on Ammonia tests? I'm having Ammonia problems in the tank and I've done water changes like crazy.
Old 10-30-2004, 05:56 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice FINatic

It's Saturday.
Seachem got back to me in a very helpful way when I had a question the next business day. Jeff
Old 10-30-2004, 07:03 PM   #15
steve-s

Quote:
Does Cupramine cause false readings on Ammonia tests?
Most definately. Cupramine uses amines which most ammonia test kits cannot read from regular ammonia. It was the main reason I suggested the ammonia alert badge. It is not fooled by the presence of amines. It is a very effective and useful product aside from the previously mentioned bad experience. Seachems multi test ammonia will also work with Cupramine and both can read past ammonia detoxifiers as well.

Cheers
Steve
Old 11-01-2004, 11:29 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Activist

Where do you find the Ammonia Alert badge? I did a search and could not find it
Old 11-01-2004, 11:32 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Activist

Is it 'Seachem Ammonia Alert'?
Old 11-01-2004, 11:38 AM   #18
steve-s

Quote:
Is it 'Seachem Ammonia Alert'?
Yes, you can try E-bay or look at the various onlines and your LFS. Onlines will take much longer so I would visit a few local stores first. Where do you normally buy from?

Cheers
Steve

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com