Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-27-2004, 02:28 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Cupramine not working

I'm using Seachem Cupramine to treat my fish for Velvet. I have them in a QT and I have removed the carbod from the filters. I still have the bio-wheels on the filter I'm using and the blue carbonless filters. I bought the Test Kit that comes with it but I keep getting a reading of 0 when I test for copper. I have been treating for two days at the recommended dosage. Still I get a zero reading. I tryed the little test dill that they inclued in the kit "sorry I can't think of the name of it right now"....and it tested positive. Not sure if my eyes are bad or the color was actually what it was, but it's did not really look like it completely tested at .5 like the instructions said it would. Anyway. Anyone have an idea why I keep getting a zero reading? Is my Bio filtration removing the copper?

Old 10-27-2004, 05:18 PM   #2
steve-s

What size is the QT and how many drops have you added? Could be a calculation error either in the dosage or how it was tested. Quite a common oversight actually.

I would also check the lot numbers by e-mailing Seachem to see if they are out of date or had issues with faulty product.

Cheers
Steve
Old 10-27-2004, 05:51 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

QT is 20gal.....I added one drop at 1ml. The instructions say .5ml for 10.5gal
Old 10-27-2004, 06:25 PM   #4
steve-s

Did you repeat the dose 48 hrs later?

Proper dosage is 2 drop per gal or 1ml per 10.5 gal the first day and then repeat the exact same dosage amount two days later.

Cheers
Steve
Old 10-27-2004, 06:29 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

Yep.....added 2ml to the 20gal
Old 10-27-2004, 06:32 PM   #6
steve-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop
Yep.....added 2ml to the 20gal
Twice

Cheers
Steve
Old 10-28-2004, 02:13 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

I'll add the second tommorow...my though was that I should detect some sort of copper after the first
Old 10-28-2004, 10:41 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to quarryshark
What is the name of the test kit you are using?
Maybe its a bum test kit. You should be detecting something. Any substrate, rock or anything porous in the tank?
Old 10-28-2004, 11:48 AM   #9
steve-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop
...my though was that I should detect some sort of copper after the first
It should have had some reading but I was wondering exactly how much had been dosed. If dosed correctly then we could narrow it down further to either the test kit being faulty or the test performed incorrectly. No offense intended but it's usually a missed step in testing.

All the carbon/resin products where removed before dosing? No polyfilter?

Cheers
Steve
Old 10-28-2004, 04:38 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Activist

The test kit is the Seachem test kit. All Carbon filters are out. Wha't a polyfilter? Is that the blue filter minuse the carbon? If so, I still have that in to catch particals and waist. All decoration in the tank is plastic and fake. I followed the directions exactly as written as stated above. Also, as stated above I used the test chemical that came with the kit to make sure that the kit was reading correctly. The test kit did pick up a the trace of copper in the test sample that came with the kit

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com