Cupramine not working

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

robocop

Aquarium Advice Activist
I'm using Seachem Cupramine to treat my fish for Velvet. I have them in a QT and I have removed the carbod from the filters. I still have the bio-wheels on the filter I'm using and the blue carbonless filters. I bought the Test Kit that comes with it but I keep getting a reading of 0 when I test for copper. I have been treating for two days at the recommended dosage. Still I get a zero reading. I tryed the little test dill that they inclued in the kit "sorry I can't think of the name of it right now"....and it tested positive. Not sure if my eyes are bad or the color was actually what it was, but it's did not really look like it completely tested at .5 like the instructions said it would. Anyway. Anyone have an idea why I keep getting a zero reading? Is my Bio filtration removing the copper?

What size is the QT and how many drops have you added? Could be a calculation error either in the dosage or how it was tested. Quite a common oversight actually.

I would also check the lot numbers by e-mailing Seachem to see if they are out of date or had issues with faulty product.

Cheers
Steve

Did you repeat the dose 48 hrs later?

Proper dosage is 2 drop per gal or 1ml per 10.5 gal the first day and then repeat the exact same dosage amount two days later.

Cheers
Steve

I'll add the second tommorow...my though was that I should detect some sort of copper after the first

What is the name of the test kit you are using?
Maybe its a bum test kit. You should be detecting something. Any substrate, rock or anything porous in the tank?

robocop said:
...my though was that I should detect some sort of copper after the first
It should have had some reading but I was wondering exactly how much had been dosed. If dosed correctly then we could narrow it down further to either the test kit being faulty or the test performed incorrectly. No offense intended but it's usually a missed step in testing.

All the carbon/resin products where removed before dosing? No polyfilter?

Cheers
Steve

The test kit is the Seachem test kit. All Carbon filters are out. Wha't a polyfilter? Is that the blue filter minuse the carbon? If so, I still have that in to catch particals and waist. All decoration in the tank is plastic and fake. I followed the directions exactly as written as stated above. Also, as stated above I used the test chemical that came with the kit to make sure that the kit was reading correctly. The test kit did pick up a the trace of copper in the test sample that came with the kit

robocop said:
Wha't a polyfilter? Is that the blue filter minuse the carbon? If so, I still have that in to catch particals and waist.
A >>polyfilter<< is a sorbing fiberous material used much the same way as carbon. It is not the blue/white filter sleeves you are refering to. I just wanted to be sure.

as stated above I used the test chemical that came with the kit to make sure that the kit was reading correctly. The test kit did pick up a the trace of copper in the test sample that came with the kit
I would still test a sample of RO water with the appropriate dose of Cupramine just to be sure. The sample regent supplied could be misleading and the kit still be faulty. I have had that issue before with their iodine kit.

The only other recommendation would be as I said before, e-mail Seachem with the lot numbers for both products and explain your difficulties. Could be one or both are faulty. In any event, your fish needs treating obviously so I wouldn't wait on acting too much longer. When e-mailing Seachem, also tell them you need to replace the Cupramine ASAP and would like a credit. Most times they will send you replacement product without any hassles but in situations like thes, time is precious.

Are you using either a UV or ozonator?

Cheers
Steve

They have not returned my email. Does Cupramine cause false readings on Ammonia tests? I'm having Ammonia problems in the tank and I've done water changes like crazy.

It's Saturday.
Seachem got back to me in a very helpful way when I had a question the next business day. Jeff

robocop said:
Does Cupramine cause false readings on Ammonia tests?
Most definately. Cupramine uses amines which most ammonia test kits cannot read from regular ammonia. It was the main reason I suggested the ammonia alert badge. It is not fooled by the presence of amines. It is a very effective and useful product aside from the previously mentioned bad experience. Seachems multi test ammonia will also work with Cupramine and both can read past ammonia detoxifiers as well.

Cheers
Steve

robocop said:
Is it 'Seachem Ammonia Alert'?
Yes, you can try E-bay or look at the various onlines and your LFS. Onlines will take much longer so I would visit a few local stores first. Where do you normally buy from?

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom