Curing Ich in main tank? Possible?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheRealFF

Aquarium Advice Freak
I know that the optimal way is to quarantine the fishes then treat them with copper or hypo, but i've heard of another way:

It's a combo of these methods:
-Cleaner shrimps eat ich parasites on fishes and on surfaces of LR and LS
-Reef safe ich medications (Kick Ich from Ruby Reef for example). They are usually weak that's y u use this method along with the others
-Garlic soak. Check out this article: http://www.marineaquariumadvice.com/Saltwater-Ich-and-Garlic.htm

I need some opinions on this combo of curing ich in main tank. Right now, im curing 4 fishes with ich in a QT (used to be main tank) using Kick Ich and cleaner shrimp. I'll get some garlic soak this weekend. I was gonna use copper or hypo but my new main tank is cycling so the inverts are also in the QT.

Cleaner shrimps eat ich parasites on fishes and on surfaces of LR and LS

You're quote says it all.....they only clean the surface of the fish/LR/LS, not under the skin. When Ich gets under the skin, the only real way to treat is with Hyposalinity. Yes Garlic is benifitial to the fish, but it only helps build up their immune system, it does nothing for the disease.

Reef safe ich medications (Kick Ich from Ruby Reef for example). They are usually weak that's y u use this method along with the others

I would stop using that stuff (KickIch) and get it out of your tank immediately. I used it on my main tank and it messed it all up. My Protien Skimmer worked OT for almost 2 weeks straight cleaning out all the crap that KickIch had put in my system.

The only real way to remove Ich from your main tank is to leave it fallow for 6-8 weeks.

See this post on Ich and it will explain it all.
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=74075

I don't want to repeat what alot of people are already saying, but, Main tank fallow for 6-8 weeks and QT all fish and treat with Hypo. Inverts will be safe in main tank.

Not to be a jerk and say I told you so, but this is exactly why I recommended you get rid of the YT. It will constantly be stressed and stress the other occupants and never get healthy if not in a proper size tank. As for the scooter they are not prone to get ich because of a protective slime coat, the same with mandarins.

Please go back and re-read our previous posts. I linked a site that gives you many options for fish that would be more appropriate for a smaller tank like yours.

I am going to treat my fish with either hypo or copper. I got the Kick Ich just b/c the LFS promised me it will work (he's a friend of my dad, so what he says... my dad listens...). I was very suprised when he gave me a cure for ich that is reef safe. I asked him twice if he's sure and he said yes. Trust me, i want to follow everything this forum teaches me as much as i can. I posted this topic b/c some guy in this forum suggested this combo of cures for ich to another guy. I was just wondering if anyone else thinks it will work.

About the YT, im still working on returning it. I don't like the thought of it might die from sadness anyway.

Once again, im trying to follow this forum's advices as much as possible just to keep my fishes happy.

Thanks guys

I cured my main by treating it with hypo last year. You MUST however, get all the inverts, corals and a good portion of your LR out of the main to do it. The treatment will kill all of the above.
Actually, I did have a snail that I missed and lived through it, but that was the definately the exception.

I was very suprised when he gave me a cure for ich that is reef safe. I asked him twice if he's sure and he said yes.

KickIch is reef safe, it's the fact that it dumps chemicals into your system and causes an unatural environment for your fish that are already stressed due to disease.

Back
Top Bottom