curing lateral line disease

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

quarryshark

Aquarium Advice Addict
My LFS has a sailfin tang that is showing effect of lateral line. Is not real bad yet, he has had the fish for several months and has recently started showing sighs. He tells my its from extended time in his coppered system.
He has offerered me the fish for next to nothing and I was considering taking him in to try and nurse him back.
Has anyone had good fortune recovering a fish from this disease?
He is eating fine, but I don't believe he is getting enough greenery at the LFS as they feed mainly mysis shrimp.
What do you think?

I have had excellent luck simply by improving conditions and diet. Along with providing plenty of green food...I recommend soaking all food in a supplament which contains [acronym="Highly Unsaturated Fatty Acid"]HUFA[/acronym], lice selcon or zoe, or whatever.

Thanks reefrunner, thats how I feed my fish now.
So you say.....go for it? :wink:
She would have to be in a 10 gallon qt tank treated with hypo for a few weeks, would that hurt any progress?

Like RR i have had a lot of luck treating HLLE with ZoeCon which has [acronym="Highly Unsaturated Fatty Acid"]HUFA[/acronym]. I also added a grounding prob to my system and make sure my tang gets a good varity of greens.

For that kind of money, that sucker better be the size of a dinner plate!! I didn't pay 85 for my large red sea sailfin, course that was several years ago.

I'd try to get him to go even lower as obviously the fish is sick. I've gotten sick fish for free to nurse back to health, pretty expensive ones, too.

I went and looked, the fish is bad.
I got a Coral Beauty instead, my second choice, but she is very healthy. Beautiful fish. :)

quarryshark said:
I got a Coral Beauty instead, my second choice, but she is very healthy. Beautiful fish. :)

Glad to hear you got a healthy fish. Sick fish are tempting to many. They awaken our paternal instincts and we just yearn to save them. It can be pretty sad, though. I'd also never pay for a sick fish, it's too much of a gamble. I've saved a few that I've been given over the years but I've lost more of those sickies than I've saved. I must admit that those saved sickies made me feel pretty good though.

A pet store employee was fishing out the dead fish in the display tanks when I saw movement in the specimen container he was using. I asked him about it and he said something like I didn't know it was still alive. Then he stirred the dead fish around and we saw it was an angelfish (fresh water type) with fluffy gunk all over it and a big meaty looking gash in its side. I asked if I could have it and he just rolled his eyes and bagged it for me cautioning me not to put it with any other fish. The damned thing actually got worse before it got better, losing an eye to an infection but recover it did. I had that angelfish for over 11 years.

Foible said:
quarryshark said:

Glad to hear you got a healthy fish. Sick fish are tempting to many. They awaken our paternal instincts and we just yearn to save them. It can be pretty sad, though. I'd also never pay for a sick fish, it's too much of a gamble. I've saved a few that I've been given over the years but I've lost more of those sickies than I've saved. I must admit that those saved sickies made me feel pretty good though.

A pet store employee was fishing out the dead fish in the display tanks when I saw movement in the specimen container he was using. I asked him about it and he said something like I didn't know it was still alive. Then he stirred the dead fish around and we saw it was an angelfish (fresh water type) with fluffy gunk all over it and a big meaty looking gash in its side. I asked if I could have it and he just rolled his eyes and bagged it for me cautioning me not to put it with any other fish. The damned thing actually got worse before it got better, losing an eye to an infection but recover it did. I had that angelfish for over 11 years.

What a cool story!! Thats great!! :D Love to hear stories like this.
I will admit, I wanted to 'bring the fish back" because I felt sorry for it. When I got there I was told it had "flukes" as well as lateral line . I could not take the chance, I have other fish to worry about.
I think in this case I made the right choice.

Back
Top Bottom