Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-02-2013, 05:47 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

cyano

Whats the best way to get rid of cyano its a 55gal bow front had fully cured live rock from my old tank put in i think the cured live rock i put in had some on it can i get a blenny to get rid of it

Old 10-02-2013, 09:02 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

I don't think Benny's will eat cyano because it's more of a bacteria than algae. I used to have it. It's caused by improper placement of a power head/circulation pump, or improper lighting. What type of lighting do you have? If you don't think it's the lighting than try moving your power heads around to an area you don't get as much circulation. Better yet place it were it indirectly hits the cyano. Also keep up on water changes. If your up to date on that, do a bigger water change. That should help.

Old 10-02-2013, 11:38 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Datreeferman View Post
I don't think Benny's will eat cyano because it's more of a bacteria than algae. I used to have it. It's caused by improper placement of a power head/circulation pump, or improper lighting. What type of lighting do you have? If you don't think it's the lighting than try moving your power heads around to an area you don't get as much circulation. Better yet place it were it indirectly hits the cyano. Also keep up on water changes. If your up to date on that, do a bigger water change. That should help.
That's not true. I'm fighting cyano right now. It's on my power heads and the inlet of my skimmer. I have 2 power heads a 850gph and a 1600 gph. I really don't have dead spots
Old 10-02-2013, 11:41 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

I got recommended two products. Dr Tim's waste away and dr Tim's Eco- balance
Old 10-02-2013, 11:53 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darylb View Post
Whats the best way to get rid of cyano its a 55gal bow front had fully cured live rock from my old tank put in i think the cured live rock i put in had some on it can i get a blenny to get rid of it
Cyano is caused by excess nutrients, not enough flow, and/or lighting issues. Unfortunately fish will not remove the cyano as it is a bacteria. Are you over feeding? How much and how often are you feeding? What's your flow like? Also, are your lights on for too long?

In most cases, cyano occurs because of overfeeding. What are your water parameters like?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stlrockguy View Post
I got recommended two products. Dr Tim's waste away and dr Tim's Eco- balance
Those products will help with the symptoms and not the cause. It's best to figure out what is causing the cyano and fix that.
Old 10-03-2013, 12:03 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

My LEDs are 2 months old. I have plenty of flow. MY nitrates-0 nitrites-0 ammonia-0 ph-8.3 phosphates-0 calcium-420. What do you think is the cause of my cyno
Old 10-03-2013, 01:06 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
My LEDs are 2 months old. I have plenty of flow. MY nitrates-0 nitrites-0 ammonia-0 ph-8.3 phosphates-0 calcium-420. What do you think is the cause of my cyno
Please be more specific....how long do you run your lights? How often and how much do you feed?
Old 10-03-2013, 01:16 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

This isn't my thread but the info should help the Other person. I have my taotronics on for 10 hours a day. I feed 1 cube of either brine or mysis shrimp every other day. I do a 20% water change every Saturday. Rodi water. Instant ocean reef crystals. I've checked my lvls with 4 different tests kits, just in case, they all read the same. Salinity 1.026 temp stays between 78&79.
Old 10-03-2013, 01:18 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

My tds on my rodi system is 255 coming in and 3 going out. But I've ran a lot of water the last few days filling my 150
Old 10-03-2013, 01:56 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
This isn't my thread but the info should help the Other person. I have my taotronics on for 10 hours a day. I feed 1 cube of either brine or mysis shrimp every other day. I do a 20% water change every Saturday. Rodi water. Instant ocean reef crystals. I've checked my lvls with 4 different tests kits, just in case, they all read the same. Salinity 1.026 temp stays between 78&79.
Oh oops, thought you were the OP. Replying to too many threads i guess lol.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com