Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-20-2004, 02:49 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Cyano Bacteria

I have what I believe to be a major Cyano bact. infection that has a strangle hold on my tank. I was told by my lfs to use an antibacterial medication but it doesn't seem to have had any effect at all. This is a 30g reef with about 7" DSB and 50 lbs of live rock, 4 power heads, a 29g fuge with 4" DSB and macro. I run a small skimmer about 16 hours a day(it was off when I treated with the antibact.) I recently borrowed a UV filter from a friend, will that do anything?? What can I do??? please help!!

Thanks,
Karl

Old 05-20-2004, 03:27 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to quarryshark
I am in a battle with cyno and the key is nutrient removal. More efficient skimming, more frequent water changes with clean r/o water, switching to r/o water if you are using tap, siphoning off what you can get frequently, straining the packing fluid from the frozen food, cutting back on feeding, etc.... These are the things that will help. The main thing is nutrient removal from your water.
What are your nitrate and po4 readings? How much dark sludge are you getting from your skimmer daily?
With the above, plus I added powerheads, It looks as though I'm beginning to beat it.

Old 05-20-2004, 04:02 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

According to my basic saltwater test kit my nitrate is 0, Im ashamed to admit I don't have a phosphate test kit yet. My skimmer puts out a decent amount of sludge, about a collection cup a week. Every week or two I do a 5g water change but that is with tap water.
Old 05-20-2004, 04:14 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Thats it I'll bet, the tap water. You may want to check in to a RO unit. That would probably solve the problem. Tap water usually contains a ton of PO4 among other things. Testing your source water would confirm.
At least check with your lfs. I know ours sells RO water.
Old 05-20-2004, 04:16 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

According to my basic saltwater test kit my nitrate is 0, Im ashamed to admit I don't have a phosphate test kit yet. My skimmer puts out a decent amount of sludge, about a collection cup a week. Every week or two I do a 5g water change but that is with tap water.
Old 05-20-2004, 04:30 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via MSN to Nitrate
I am in a huge battle with Cyno as well, just did 3 30% water changes over about a week and a half, I cut way back on my feedings, and I bought a skimmer that is rated for well above my tank size. Since I've done all that the Cyno had gotten WORSE!!. I use RO, but recent tests reveal that its about time for a new membrane.

I still have high trates of about 60 ppm, but am doing another 50 gal water change this weekend.

Any other ideas quarryshark? I read some inconculsive studies about the use of Hydrogen Peroxide to get rid of algae and Cyno, but I'm scared to dose my tank with it.
Old 05-20-2004, 04:42 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Well, honestly I'm no expert. I'm just sharing things I am doing and they seem to be working. I just purchased a monster skimmer too. I'm hoping that will give it the final punch. Might want to run carbon for a little while, that may help as well as siphoning what you can get out every day.
As for treating the tank with any kind of meds, I know its tempting, but thats not really fixing the source. Besides the fact it may harm you livestock.
I also changed all the filters and the membrane on my RO. They were pretty skanky.
Old 05-20-2004, 05:11 PM   #8
steve-s

One of the biggest contributors will be inorganic (testable) and organic (untestable) phosphates. Nitrate will feed it plenty once it gets a foothold but if you can eliminate the PO4, the cyano will die off with or without (better without ) the elevated NO3.

Get a quality PO4 granular sponge that can be bagged and placed in a decent flow area (sump or canister) and keep changing it out every few days. Once the levels are below 0.5 ppm, it can be left in longer to work on the organic PO4 and any possible silcates as well. I would highly recommend Seachems beaded product. Works like a dream.

Cheers
Steve
Old 05-20-2004, 08:40 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

I used something called "Cemi-Clean" that killed it all in about 48 hours. It cost $13 for enough to treat 200 gallons. My tank is 16... lol

Everyone gave me crap for using the anti-biotics but I'd like to point out, they all still have Cyano in their tanks... while I do not. All my fish are fine, all my feather dusters, snails, crabs, and coraline algea, etc... I even found a worm now.... I never had coral though... the product says it's reef safe but, like I said, I have no coral so I can't vouch for it being coral safe.
Old 05-20-2004, 09:53 PM   #10
steve-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pain Devine
I have no coral so I can't vouch for it being coral safe.
The only thing it has ever damaged that I have heard of is some types of zoanthuds. Not sure of the exact species though.

As far as your success (luck?) with the antibiotic or other product(s), your nutrient may have been marginal. Products like these treat the symptom , not the cause. I would hope that people continue to advise against the use of these types of "quick cures" albeit in a polite and respectful manner.

Cheers
Steve

Tags
bacteria, cyano

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com