Cyst on Humu Humu trigger?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mr. Mantis

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey guys i need some help. I just picked up a humu humu trigger a couple days ago and put him in qt. tonite i just noticed a yellow cyst like bump on his fin and one on his left abdomen i would say. To me it looks kinda big to be ich but i'll leave it to the experts to help me out. Any help is sincerely appreciated.

Attachments

• 0806090107_0003.jpg
    0806090107_0003.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 73
  • 0806090107_0005.jpg
    0806090107_0005.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 83
Hard to tell with those blurred pics, but I would guess lymphocystis. Usually improved water quality will help it go away.

Ok thanks Capt and Melosu, I've been using selcon on his diet and he's been eating like a pig. i'll do another pwc when i get home from work just to be safe.

I'll post a fresh set as soon as i get home.
As of monday, it was:

Temp 77.5*F
PH 8.2
Ammonia 0
nitrite 0
nitrate ~10
gravity/salinity 1.024

i'm using the Quick Dip test strips. I also had my LFS test my water that day and he stated that my nitrates was a bit high. So I read up on the forums here and did a pwc and removed the sponges from my Canister filter so that it only contains the ceramic bio rings and some rubble rock.

You may want to drop the salinity over a few days to around 1.020, it will make it easier on him....

ok guys i'm kinda freakin out. Today when I left home to go to work, my sister came over and thought that the trigger was lonely and dumped him into my DT. I'm still at work for 4 more hours. My sis said she placed him in there maybe and hour or 2 after i had left. So thats about 7 hours in the DT tank with 4 more to go. I'm not gonna ask her to remove him in fear of her hurting something or herself in the process. How bad is this?

Step back and take a deep breath. There is nothing you can do about it so you may as well put it on the shelf till you get home. What other fish do you have in your DT?

i have a small (less than 3 inch) porcupine puffer and a snowflake eel

What`s done is done. You`ll have to deal with it. You`ll need to make sure you let your family members know that this is your tank and not to do anything unless you know about it. the safety of your tankmates depends on it.

agreed. will the rest of the tank inhabitants be ok if i begin lowering the salinity to 1.020 over the next few days? will my CUC survive it or should i begin the seperation process?

I wouldn't mess with salinity. There's no evidence keeping salinity at anything less than 1.026 does any good...unless of course you are doing hypo and dropping it all the way to 1.009 to kill parasites.

Thanks for all the advise guys. Sunday I scooped him out of the tank and took him back to my LFS and they gave me credit on him. I guess the final straw was when he started flashing up against the rocks. I'll be keeping a close eye on the other fish for now. Thanks Capt, Melosu, and Thincat for all the help. As always you guys rock

It still sucks that that fish is pretty much doomed. Unless they know anything about what is wrong with the fish hes gonna die. :( I feel bad for the humu humu

Back
Top Bottom